Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Boots for winter

  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

    Boots for winter

    Hey folks. I'm a trying to find a pair of boots for this upcoming winter. I already have several pairs of boots but none that can do what this new pair must do. I need something that will have decent traction on ice. My Sorel Caribous have great traction but they look like monster trucks strapped to my feet. I'm hoping to find something way less bulky and way better looking. I'll be walking a decent amount with them on snow and ice, mainly going to and from transit to get to work and for running errands. I work in an office and I would like to have something that I wouldn't have to change out of upon arrival. I don't wear a suit to work but I would still like these boots to look decently "dressed up". Budget is $150-200. They will be semi-beaters that will get slush and salt on them. They don't need to be that warm either. Hoping for something readily available, either from a bricks and mortar store or an online store with a good shipping and return policy. Any suggestions? I'll probably only need to start wearing them in the next 3 or so months but I'm just trying to get a feel for what my options might be. Even if you can just suggest a certain style, that would help me get started.

    Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Don't know if a chukka is tall enough for your purpose but just noticed these on clearance at Allen Edmonds for $199:

    https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/b...#start=1&sz=56

    Hefty lug sole with civilized leather upper.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member Nandyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,083
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Definitely check your local Nordstrom Rack if you've got one or two nearby. You'll often find some red wings as well as other boot options. I've seen some Oak Street boots/chukkas before as well. Also check in on when j Crew has deals on their Kenton boots and check out Taylor stitch's boots. Not sure how often they go on sale

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Somewhere in NJ
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    You might look at Thursday Boots. I have several pairs of their boots including the specific model linked below. The "Rugged & Resilient Leather" is meant to be hard wearing with minimal maintenance. I've been wearing Thursday Boots for four years and I think for the price they make really good boots.

    https://thursdayboots.com/products/m...llection=boots

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    You might look at Thursday Boots. I have several pairs of their boots including the specific model linked below. The "Rugged & Resilient Leather" is meant to be hard wearing with minimal maintenance. I've been wearing Thursday Boots for four years and I think for the price they make really good boots.

    https://thursdayboots.com/products/m...llection=boots
    Have to agree. I know Thursdays are a bit of a controversial topic, but I love mine. I've got 8 pairs of Allen Edmonds and, honestly, I think I like my Thursdays better than all of them. Admittedly, there are some quality control issues, but their customer service is very good at rectifying any issues quickly. The Captain and Scout are, in my view, their best products.



    P.S. that AE comment wasn't to suggest they're necessarily better than Allen Edmonds. AEs are still really great shoes. All I mean is that Thursdays are pretty similar in quality, so a even a slight difference in personal preference could put them over the top.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    For the money you'd be spending on Thursdays, I'd much rather go with a pair of Thorogoods.

    Something like this would be great in the snow:
    https://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-Men...ef_=ast_sto_dp

    A little chunky, but they still have that Indy vibe.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I'll second Nordstrom Rack. I've seen Iron Rangers, Beckmans, 1000 Mile and Frye there that would easily fit your price range.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Great responses everyone! Very much appreciated. I think I'll start with Nordstrom Rack and go from the there.

    Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesbury View Post
    Hey folks. I'm a trying to find a pair of boots for this upcoming winter. I already have several pairs of boots but none that can do what this new pair must do. I need something that will have decent traction on ice. My Sorel Caribous have great traction but they look like monster trucks strapped to my feet. I'm hoping to find something way less bulky and way better looking. I'll be walking a decent amount with them on snow and ice, mainly going to and from transit to get to work and for running errands. I work in an office and I would like to have something that I wouldn't have to change out of upon arrival. I don't wear a suit to work but I would still like these boots to look decently "dressed up". Budget is $150-200. They will be semi-beaters that will get slush and salt on them. They don't need to be that warm either. Hoping for something readily available, either from a bricks and mortar store or an online store with a good shipping and return policy. Any suggestions? I'll probably only need to start wearing them in the next 3 or so months but I'm just trying to get a feel for what my options might be. Even if you can just suggest a certain style, that would help me get started.

    Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    Why are you against having to change into shoes upon arrival? You get the best of both worlds, comfortable & style appropriate footwear in both locations.

    They also make rubber shoe booties you can wear, too, to protect your shoes/boots from snow/salt.

  10. #10
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xucardsfan08 View Post
    Why are you against having to change into shoes upon arrival? You get the best of both worlds, comfortable & style appropriate footwear in both locations.

    They also make rubber shoe booties you can wear, too, to protect your shoes/boots from snow/salt.
    I am not against changing into shoes upon arrival per se, it's just that I would have to keep a pair of shoes at my desk on top of the couple of pairs of safety footwear that I already have to store here. And when I ever want to change my pair of "stylish" shoes with a different pair, it's not convenient to transport them on transit with all the other stuff that I regularly carry; laptop, coffee travel mug, etc.

    I've already tried the rubber shoe booties a few years ago. Mine eventually ripped in less than a season. Although I did like them, I chose not to replace them due to how costly they are for what they are.

    So that's why I'm hoping to find some boots. I can still wear shoes on winter days where the sidewalks are free of snow and ice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •