Thread: Double Breasted Notched Lapel Overcoat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Double Breasted Notched Lapel Overcoat

I know that you shouldn't wear double breasted suits/sports jackets/ blazers with notch lapels. I am currently looking for a couple overcoats to add to my wardrobe and I found some overcoats with notched lapels for a very good price. Could I pull off a notched lapel double breasted overcoat?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I’ve not heard any rule about not wearing notched lapels with DB jackets.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeh5335 View Post
    I know that you shouldn't wear double breasted suits/sports jackets/ blazers with notch lapels. I am currently looking for a couple overcoats to add to my wardrobe and I found some overcoats with notched lapels for a very good price. Could I pull off a notched lapel double breasted overcoat?
    "Rules" aside (if these rules really mean anything at all...) a true notch on a DB looks kind of weird to me because it takes the really long lapels of a DB and suddenly shortens them, whereas with a peak or shawl they are able to glide up your chest. Overcoat lapels have a lot more variation than the notch/peak/shawl you see on suit jackets and blazers/sportcoats though and some of them look good and/or descend from some bit of history, e.g. the Ulster collar. Do you have pictures of these notch lapels? That would be much more informative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    "Rules" aside (if these rules really mean anything at all...) a true notch on a DB looks kind of weird to me because it takes the really long lapels of a DB and suddenly shortens them, whereas with a peak or shawl they are able to glide up your chest. Overcoat lapels have a lot more variation than the notch/peak/shawl you see on suit jackets and blazers/sportcoats though and some of them look good and/or descend from some bit of history, e.g. the Ulster collar. Do you have pictures of these notch lapels? That would be much more informative.
    https://www.overcoatusa.com/mens-six...long-coat.html
    Here is the jacket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Hmmmm. The short answer is that I am not a fan. I'd prefer peak lapels on a DB but a notch alone isn't a dealbreaker. What I don't like is how straight the lapel is, and how big and low the notches are. Coupled with the hard, overly padded shoulders and the whole thing screams 80's bad. How married are you to the idea of a DB? An SB is much easier, and I see many for much cheaper than the $200 this one will run you. If you must have a DB, for $200, you can probably find a gently used one on ebay that will be lightyears nicer than the one you are looking at.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    I have to agree with the assessment of that particular coat. The design isn't retro, it's dated, and to a particularly unfortunate period for men's fashion.

If a double-breast is going to have a notch lapel, the notches need to be high up on the shoulder. This preserves the length of the lapels, and visually broadens the shoulders. (Really, a higher notch or peak always looks better, single- or double-breasted.)

Something not mentioned is the abundance of red flags on the site itself: the single, extremely low resolution image, which was clearly cropped from something else, no list of materials, no information on construction, place of origin, no measurements other than the chest, etc. You have no idea what you'd actually receive, and given this is a German eBay seller with a California mailing address there's little recourse if the promised return policy ("full purchase price minus the 0% Restocking Fee." - what?) isn't upheld.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    (I'd edit my property part but that always seems to end up deleting it)

Looking at the locked coat again, I'd swear the picture is of an actor from the late 80s or early 1990s. Can't be certain with the poor image quality, but he looks very familiar.

A Google image search only yields the same low-res image, used by a variety of online sellers of cheap clothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, this really helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    (I'd edit my property part but that always seems to end up deleting it)

Looking at the locked coat again, I'd swear the picture is of an actor from the late 80s or early 1990s. Can't be certain with the poor image quality, but he looks very familiar.

A Google image search only yields the same low-res image, used by a variety of online sellers of cheap clothing.
    It's a poor man's Pierce Brosnan. Remington Steele version, not Bond version. And definitely not Thomas Crown. And double definitely not Steve McQueen Thomas Crown

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, this really helps
    If you're searching ebay, look for Jcrew coats. A lot of them go for around $200 NWT.

Other good options are Brooks Brothers. Some lightly used options going around $200.