Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Inexpensive but attractive waxed jacket recommendations

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Inexpensive but attractive waxed jacket recommendations

    I want a Barbour but it's too spendy for me right now. Are there attractive sub $100 waxed jacket options or do I need to dream another dream?

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    316
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadeckl View Post
    I want a Barbour but it's too spendy for me right now. Are there attractive sub $100 waxed jacket options or do I need to dream another dream?
    Are you looking for something in a Barbour-esque field jacket - like the Barbour Bedale - or more of a trucker jacket a la the Flint and Tinder Waxed Canvass Trucker? A trucker might be had for around $100 come late fall/winter sales time (not the Flint and Tinder one, but others that aren't made in the USA of USA grown cotton, USA produced textiles, etc.). The field jacket, you'll have to find the right sale at the right time, and even then you're probably looking at something around $140-$160 rather than right at $100. I wouldn't be too optimistic of finding anything in that price range until right after Christmas when cold weather stuff goes on steep markdown.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Get a Levi or Carhartt and wax it yourself? I cant really think of anything sub $100.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Keep an eye on Target's Goodfellow collection. I got a nice black coated jacket two years ago. Cost all of $50! Still looks great two years later. Unfortunately I don't see it on the site at this time.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Second the Target mention...give it a bit and the fall stuff will be out in full force. I got a waxed cotton jacket dark green from Target (Merona at the time I got it rather than Goodfellow) a few years back and it still is going strong. It's not Barbour quality, and you will notice that, but likely nobody else will.

    I will say, if you truly desire a Barbour jacket, and can hold off until the after Xmas sales, you can likely find a tolerable deal if you keep an eye on say Orvis clearance section. While it may cost a bit more, chances are it'll last you a lifetime. Juice might be worth the squeeze, but hey that's coming from a guy who went the $50 Target route!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Are you looking for something in a Barbour-esque field jacket - like the Barbour Bedale - or more of a trucker jacket a la the Flint and Tinder Waxed Canvass Trucker? A trucker might be had for around $100 come late fall/winter sales time (not the Flint and Tinder one, but others that aren't made in the USA of USA grown cotton, USA produced textiles, etc.). The field jacket, you'll have to find the right sale at the right time, and even then you're probably looking at something around $140-$160 rather than right at $100. I wouldn't be too optimistic of finding anything in that price range until right after Christmas when cold weather stuff goes on steep markdown.
    Yes, the field jacket look is what I was looking for. I kind of knew it was a lost cause, but figured I'd ask. Thanks again.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Buy a used Barbour on eBay or other reselling site. it may look worn but barbours are supposed to look worn-in. Got mine under 100 although it took some time to find one that inexpensive that was still in decent shape.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    If you want a decent quality waxed jacket for under $100 you'll have to find a used one on ebay. Otherwise, you could check companies like Gustin or Taylor Stitch. Gustin regularly runs campaigns on waxed canvas field jackets but they're more than $100 and you have to wait 3 months. I don't know if Taylor Stitch has ever made field jackets but they run campaigns the same way that Gustin does. Gustin stuff is US made and Taylor Stitch's stuff is now made in China.

    My recommendation would be to save your money and just pony up for something a little more expensive. Quality means different things to different people but I tend to avoid cheap fast fashion brands, well, because they're cheap.

  9. #9
    Varsity Member Nandyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)
    You can also find an affordable field jacket you like and wax it yourself. Just need a heat gun (I used a hair dryer and it took way longer and was a pain in the ass) and some wax like otter wax, or fjallraven's Greenland wax, or the wax straight from Barbour. It's what I did with a cheap but good looking/well fitting cotton field jacket I got from asos.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    You can also find an affordable field jacket you like and wax it yourself. Just need a heat gun (I used a hair dryer and it took way longer and was a pain in the ass) and some wax like otter wax, or fjallraven's Greenland wax, or the wax straight from Barbour. It's what I did with a cheap but good looking/well fitting cotton field jacket I got from asos.

    What he said. I used Fjallraven’s Greenland Wax on a cotton field jacket from American Eagle and it worked perfectly fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •