Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inexpensive but attractive waxed jacket recommendations

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I picked up the Best Made Co. light waxed jacket last September on sale for around $150. I’m not sure i like it as much as my Gustin field jacket but I didn’t have to wait 3 months for it either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    You can also find an affordable field jacket you like and wax it yourself. Just need a heat gun (I used a hair dryer and it took way longer and was a pain in the ass) and some wax like otter wax, or fjallraven's Greenland wax, or the wax straight from Barbour. It's what I did with a cheap but good looking/well fitting cotton field jacket I got from asos.
    A word of caution waxing your own jacket, I re-waxed my Gustin trucker a few years back and it didn't turn out so well. I used a heat gun and bar of Otter wax and the Otter wax stunk really bad. I think if you're going to wax your own jacket be sure to use liquid wax, such as melting the wax down, and then use a brush to apply it so that you get an even coating. When I used an Otter wax bar the wax itself didn't penetrate the seams as well as I would've liked and left a white residue, not to mention how labor intensive it was. I'm sure some people have gotten good results waxing their own garments but it's a pain in the butt imo

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
    A word of caution waxing your own jacket, I re-waxed my Gustin trucker a few years back and it didn't turn out so well. I used a heat gun and bar of Otter wax and the Otter wax stunk really bad. I think if you're going to wax your own jacket be sure to use liquid wax, such as melting the wax down, and then use a brush to apply it so that you get an even coating. When I used an Otter wax bar the wax itself didn't penetrate the seams as well as I would've liked and left a white residue, not to mention how labor intensive it was. I'm sure some people have gotten good results waxing their own garments but it's a pain in the butt imo
    I tend to agree with this, some years back I experimented by first waxing a cotton baseball cap I had, which wasn't too hard and turned out great. Then tried to wax a plain cotton field jacket from JCF. It turned out to be an extremely time-consuming, frustrating, not to mention messy process. Then even after using a brush and a heat gun and spending lots of time trying to get the wax evenly melted/applied, the end result looked very messy, mottled, and uneven. I think I ended up just throwing the jacket out. I used Barbour Thornproof wax so it's not like I was cheaping out on the product.

Some guys say they have had great success with this method. I'm not sure what they're doing right that I was apparently doing wrong.
    Ben

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1399 Post(s)
    Toss my hat in the ring for being careful about waxing your own jacket. While I did not attempt to do it with a jacket, I did with a pair of jeans. Dan Trepanier (he of the Style Blogger fame) had an article up on his website a few years back about waxing your own jeans. I liked the look of the pants he was wearing in his post and decided to give it a try.

Yeah. Didn't go so well. Or at least my pants didn't turn out like Dan's. The end result was that the wax wasn't evenly applied and I jeans didn't look that nice. I did wear them though, as they were a new pair of pants and I didn't want to take the financial hit. But I will not be doing it again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Have you tried Lands' End? Fit can be a bit generous if you are on the slim side, but their coats and jackets are highly regarded, and they run 40-50% off sale pretty regularly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    See if Orvis has anything that would do the job for you.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I picked up a (barely) used waxed Gustin field jacket earlier this year for $90. Super happy with it for the price.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    I got a red cotton bomber from Target last year, that I'm thinking about waxing. How do you folks think it would look?