Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen Edmonds Shell Trunk Show 2019.2

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)

Allen Edmonds Shell Trunk Show 2019.2

For those not tracking, AE is doing a second shell trunk show this coming weekend and next.

Ashley posted this on another style related forum:

We listened closely to feedback from the last show, and our team worked VERY hard to bring you what we think is one of the best shows we've ever constructed. I'm excited to hear your feedback!

On to the good stuff:

WHERE AND WHEN:

- The first leg of the event will go live Friday, 9/13/19 in San Francisco, South Coast Plaza, and Chicago Michigan Ave.
    - The second leg of the event will go live Friday 9/20/19 in NY Madison Ave, DC City Center, and Orlando.
    - These events will run from 6PM until close of business.

** Although non “host” stores will not be having actual in store events or physical samples, you are absolutely are encouraged to reach out to your home stores to participate in this show! You can call in to any store, and you can shop in person with any store.**

- I will personally be attending the launch of the first leg in South Coast Plaza, and I sincerely hope I am able to meet as many of you as possible! If you can clear your calendar that day, or if any of you are feeling up for a bit of a roadtrip, Dan, his team and I would love to have you!

COLORS AVAILABLE:

- Colors offered for this cordovan event will be Brown, Black, Burgundy, Navy, and Green.

- In addition to these offerings, for the first time ever, we are introducing CHILI CORDOVAN! This is a color created by Horween SPECIALLY for AE. Even more exciting– there are no limits to the amount of orders able to be placed for Chili cordovan! Sample Photos to follow shortly.

- Beyond these offerings open to all customers and all stores, we will also be providing each HOST store with 10 pairs of Shaved Cordovan, for in store participants only. This color is first come first serve, and is intended to help provide incentive to customers to attend in person.

STYLES AVAILABLE:

Higgins Mill $725
    Dalton $725
    Leeds $695
    MacNeil $695
    Cornwallis $695
    Randolph $695
    Strand $695
    Fifth Ave $695

From the Vault:
    Fifth Street $695
    Bayfield $725
    Dundee $695

(is anyone hyperventilating yet?)

- You will be able to choose from a black, buff, or antique edge (a translucent brown).
    - You will also be able to select a flat welt or a split reverse welt.

SOLES AVAILABLE:

Standard Redenbach, Commando, Vtread, Black Dainite

OTHER KEY POINTS:

- The usual $120 special makeup fee is waived during this event
    - All sales are NON REFUNDABLE- please be certain of your size, and please note that natural variances of lighter shell are completely normal and expected!
    - We are not accepting out of size range makes at this time, and we aren’t accepting any customization beyond what’s outlined here.
    - We expect a quote time of around 8-12 weeks- but we’d rather do it beautifully than quick
    - PLEASE feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!
    Who's getting what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    How did I miss this? Fifth Street in black or burgundy cordovan + JR soles would be pretty killer. The boot itself is quite dressy, with closed lacing, minimal broguing, and, weirdly, built on the 65 last. Totally navy/charcoal worsted suit-worthy and harkens back to the days when guys had to wear boots with their daytime attire because of poor road conditions. Looks like a regular oxford when you're standing, but sit down and the fun begins. In this day and age though, it'd be more rugged than everyone else's dress shoes, but I think an equally rugged material like shell would be a great way to celebrate its bootiness and distinguish it from calf Park Aves and such. Keeping it to black/burgundy will maintain the suit-worthiness and avoid straying into the formality zone occupied by, say, the Daltons.

I might be thinking too hard about this. I just have a total sweet spot for this shoe, as it was the 2nd AE I ever got (thanks to Joe's reference to it in an old article). I wear it all the time year-round, and am quite surprised that something so versatile didn't catch on.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sold on the fifth street if only because it's not a currently-offered model at all (and one I've been wanting for a bit) but still on the fence betwixt navy and green.

Having dinner with Ashley in a couple weeks in Charleston, so I'm sure she'll convince me to get one color on the fifth street and the other in a Higgins Mill :P

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I'm pretty sold on the fifth street if only because it's not a currently-offered model at all (and one I've been wanting for a bit) but still on the fence betwixt navy and green.

Having dinner with Ashley in a couple weeks in Charleston, so I'm sure she'll convince me to get one color on the fifth street and the other in a Higgins Mill :P
    I've been lusting after the Dalton in shell ever since I first saw the photos of yours. But I have so many AE shoes now.

And I'm going to be right the in area where the trunk show is Saturday.

I'm soooo conflicted!
    Last edited by mebejoseph; September 3rd, 2019 at 08:38 PM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Just out of curiosity, has the quality on AE's shell shoes changed since Caleras purchased the company?

I haven't been following the brand closely since my work doesn't require dress shoes, but have seen some venting on here with lower level offerings.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)

Discount on these? Do you think this would work . . .

I just received a snail-mail AE catalog yesterday. And it had a coupon for $75 off any regularly priced pair of AE shoes.

Do you think they would honor the coupon on the trunk show shell shoes? At any rate, I've got to stop by the AE in South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa just to see a pair of those shell Daltons in person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post

Navy Fifth Street?? HNNNNNNG. I'm not really sure how to wear green boots though, assuming it's the same shade that Carmina has. Maybe with cords or tweed?

Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    At any rate, I've got to stop by the AE in South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa just to see a pair of those shell Daltons in person.
    Oooh! That's where I bought my first few pairs of AEs. Dan and Alex were super helpful in the beginning, when I didn't know what I was doing. I'm sure they'll be able to assist in separating you from a bit of your funds. Re: shell Daltons specifically though, I have a pair in the perennial burgundy color, and they don't get used that much, or at least, not enough to justify the painful cost of entry. There's nothing wrong with them per se but I already have a pair of MacNeils, which overlaps with the Daltons in the rugged-biz-casual zone, but can also be dressed up with flannel trousers. Also in this crowded category is a pair of Meermin suede split-toe bluchers, and the light color is more makes them easier to match than the Dalton's brooding purple. Of course your tastes will vary, but since the MacNeil is also available at the trunk show, I'd consider that first if you don't already have a pair.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Navy Fifth Street?? HNNNNNNG. I'm not really sure how to wear green boots though, assuming it's the same shade that Carmina has. Maybe with cords or tweed?

Oooh! That's where I bought my first few pairs of AEs. Dan and Alex were super helpful in the beginning, when I didn't know what I was doing. I'm sure they'll be able to assist in separating you from a bit of your funds. Re: shell Daltons specifically though, I have a pair in the perennial burgundy color, and they don't get used that much, or at least, not enough to justify the painful cost of entry. There's nothing wrong with them per se but I already have a pair of MacNeils, which overlaps with the Daltons in the rugged-biz-casual zone, but can also be dressed up with flannel trousers. Also in this crowded category is a pair of Meermin suede split-toe bluchers, and the light color is more makes them easier to match than the Dalton's brooding purple. Of course your tastes will vary, but since the MacNeil is also available at the trunk show, I'd consider that first if you don't already have a pair.
    I purchased my first pair of AE shoes there as well. Park Avenues in black.

Thank you for the input.

Okay, I have a pair of oxblood MacNeils, so that would really feel like a duplicate.

I also have some burgundy and black button boots from J. Fitzpatrick. And some tassel loafers in the same color as well. And some NOS made in USA Bostonian kilted tassel loafers in a kind of burgundy color (never worn out of the house since I purchased them as NOS).

And I have a few other pairs of boots in black and another in gray.

And just one in a brownish/tan color by Carlos Santos. Oh, and my brown AE Nomad Chukka.

So, maybe a burgundy or black is unnecessary.

That said, ever since I've heard of "shell" leather shoes, I've always associated the term with burgundy.

And really--at this point in my life, I really will never need another pair of shoes or boots.

And I'm not going to buy anything--I just want to see them in person. I'm not aware that I've seen any shell leather shoes in person. But I've got enough pairs of AE shoes. I need to broaden my collection. Maybe I'll get something by Alden. I don't have any of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    But I've got enough pairs of AE shoes. I need to broaden my collection. Maybe I'll get something by Alden. I don't have any of those.
    Have you considered Carmina? Their line of cordovan shoes is huge compared to AE, and in lots of different colors too. Their lasts are shapelier and less old-man-shoe than Alden's, and push comes to shove, you can get pretty much anything in their lineup in cordovan with the MTO program.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Have you considered Carmina? Their line of cordovan shoes is huge compared to AE, and in lots of different colors too. Their lasts are shapelier and less old-man-shoe than Alden's, and push comes to shove, you can get pretty much anything in their lineup in cordovan with the MTO program.
    I have indeed considered Carmina and they are on my list as a shoe I want to own.

And I feel like I should own a pair of Alden shoes because: 1) I'm an old man; and 2) I want that piece of Americana before they get bought out or something.

So, I'm going to get some type of Alden before too long--just not sure what.

It does seem that Carmina's shell shoes and boots are a bit of a premium to Alden as well. I think about $150-$200 more. Which in that price range isn't really a huge consideration--If I'm going to pop for $800, why not $950?