Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen Edmonds Shell Trunk Show 2019.2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I have indeed considered Carmina and they are on my list as a shoe I want to own.

And I feel like I should own a pair of Alden shoes because: 1) I'm an old man; and 2) I want that piece of Americana before they get bought out or something.

So, I'm going to get some type of Alden before too long--just not sure what.

It does seem that Carmina's shell shoes and boots are a bit of a premium to Alden as well. I think about $150-$200 more. Which in that price range isn't really a huge consideration--If I'm going to pop for $800, why not $950?

Hahah between your recent health/physique improvements, revamped wardrobe, smokeshow wife, and career jump, I'd say you're hardly the model old man.

I do get a similar urge every so often to add a pair of Aldens to my collection for the same reason. But then I'll go take a gander and find everything in their cordovan lineup kind of unappealing. There's some cool stuff in the calf collection but if I went that route, I'd be paying the Alden premium just so that my shoes say Alden on them and I'm not about to do that unless it's something really special. Now occasionally they have a collaboration with Leffot or Epaulet, and you get some really cool results like this:

I missed this when it first came out and now they're gone. Sad! Otherwise they'd be in my closet filling that Alden hole, even if they're not cordovan.

Have you taken a look at Rancourt, btw? They don't really have Alden's history but are just as All-American, I'd say. They only have a few shell styles, but that Dalton-esque boot in caramel shell.....WOWOWOWOW.

Speaking of the Alden sense of Americana, I had roommate two years ago who ONLY had Alden shoes. He wasn't particularly fashionable and certainly wasn't into #menswear or Trad or Americana or authenticity or what have you. He just knew about cheap cemented shoes (Rockport, Clarks, Ecco, etc.) and didn't like them, and for some reason thought that the only other option in town was Alden and figured that $500+ was simply the cost of nice shoes. As a result, aside from sneakers, he only had a few pairs of shoes in total, but wore the heck out of them the way they were intended to be worn, instead of using them sparingly as part of a giant rotation like we do. He didn't really know how to take care of them the way we do, either, with creams and polishes and conditioner and whatever. Just shoe trees and occasionally a wipe with an old wet rag. There was something quite endearing about the honesty in this guy's style: it wasn't based off Dappered or StyleForum or Instagram or whatnot; just a guy from a formerly wealthy Old Money family who wore the same frumpy things all the other guys in his family did.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Hahah between your recent health/physique improvements, revamped wardrobe, smokeshow wife, and career jump, I'd say you're hardly the model old man.
    Oh oh--I have a stalker.

You have only seven posts. You're either a lurker or you changed your sign in.

I do get a similar urge every so often to add a pair of Aldens to my collection for the same reason. But then I'll go take a gander and find everything in their cordovan lineup kind of unappealing. There's some cool stuff in the calf collection but if I went that route, I'd be paying the Alden premium just so that my shoes say Alden on them and I'm not about to do that unless it's something really special. Now occasionally they have a collaboration with Leffot or Epaulet, and you get some really cool results like this:

[photo deleted to save space]

I missed this when it first came out and now they're gone. Sad! Otherwise they'd be in my closet filling that Alden hole, even if they're not cordovan.
    I would totally rock those! I also like the Alden Indy boot.

But maybe I want an Alden shoe or boot in calf and shell cordovan from another shoemaker. But I need to see shell in person. I don't know that I have. I've read posts from some people saying they don't like it. I think in a Facebook group I'm in.

Have you taken a look at Rancourt, btw? They don't really have Alden's history but are just as All-American, I'd say. They only have a few shell styles, but that Dalton-esque boot in caramel shell.....WOWOWOWOW.
    Okay--I was under the impression and Rancourt only made boat shoe types. I have it in my mind that shell cordovan should be a burgundy wingtip boot or a long wingtip shoe. I don't know why.

And I just looked at the Rancourt boot and I agree--that boot is WOW! I think that might be my first shell purchase. Maybe. Maybe for Xmas.

Speaking of the Alden sense of Americana, I had roommate two years ago who ONLY had Alden shoes. He wasn't particularly fashionable and certainly wasn't into #menswear or Trad or Americana or authenticity or what have you. He just knew about cheap cemented shoes (Rockport, Clarks, Ecco, etc.) and didn't like them, and for some reason thought that the only other option in town was Alden and figured that $500+ was simply the cost of nice shoes. As a result, aside from sneakers, he only had a few pairs of shoes in total, but wore the heck out of them the way they were intended to be worn, instead of using them sparingly as part of a giant rotation like we do. He didn't really know how to take care of them the way we do, either, with creams and polishes and conditioner and whatever. Just shoe trees and occasionally a wipe with an old wet rag. There was something quite endearing about the honesty in this guy's style: it wasn't based off Dappered or StyleForum or Instagram or whatnot; just a guy from a formerly wealthy Old Money family who wore the same frumpy things all the other guys in his family did.
    Oh boy--I find this exceptionally interesting because it brings back memories. For a few years, I had a step-father from a back east old money family who had pretty much depleted the money by the time it got to him. He started a business, and lost so much money that his mother was forced to sell their beautiful estate that had been in the family since 1764 or something to bail him out. It was beautiful--a pond, service buildings, tennis courts--probably 10 acres--maybe 30 miles from NYC.

Now when I see one of those old movies from 1930's, and they are in an upstate estate, it reminds me of that place.

He didn't deserve her selling that place. He was an asshole.

But the rest of his family was quite charming, including his mother. She taught me proper table manners and ALWAYS insisted on setting the table with silverware, plates, salad forks, etc., even when we were eating hot dogs in the gazebo. (Looking back, I'm sure she must have thought it a horror that she had a step-grandson with an Italian last name from Jersey with a full-on Jersey accent instead of the proper "trans-Atlantic" upper class accent, which probably explains why he wanted to change my last name to his--thank the stars that never happened.)

And yes--their fashion sense was unchanging. Always quality over quantity. And even though it was the early late 60', early '70's, nobody in that family was wearing polyester or Levi jeans (except when working with or riding the horses--jeans were acceptable because he liked western style riding). Despite him being an abusive asshole, he did buy me my first real suit from a real men's wear store when I was only 9 or 10. Including a white shirt with french cuffs and mother of pearl cuff links.

Your college roommate sounds like he's from the same type of family (absent being an utterly miserable human being).

So, fifty years later, I didn't know these kinds of people were still around. I'm probably projecting--but thanks for the trip down memory lane.

And the recommendation for Rancourt!
    Last edited by mebejoseph; September 6th, 2019 at 01:22 PM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    @armedferret

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

I am glad you posted. I am going to stop by the trunk show Saturday after I pick up my suit from Suit Supply.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    For those not tracking, AE is doing a second shell trunk show this coming weekend and next.

Ashley posted this on another style related forum:

Who's getting what?
    Oh boy--when you posted this, I thought it was THIS weekend. But it's not. It's the 13th and 20th. Throws off my plans.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    @armedferret

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
    Did you forget who you were talking to? I'm the last guy on the planet anyone should feel bad about "hijacking"....go check the AE appreciation thread on styleforum for a primer as to why lol

Oh boy--when you posted this, I thought it was THIS weekend. But it's not. It's the 13th and 20th. Throws off my plans.
    Any AE store can take an order during the show, so call up your favorite SA and get jiggy with it. You only have to go to the named stores if you want the 'shaved' shell, it's an in-person order only.

As for Carmina, they are a WHOOOOOLLLLLEEEE other world apart from AE and Alden. Only Alden styles that really speak to me are the Indy and maybe their cordovan straight tip boot. As for Carmina, gurl I would buy that whole damn STORE in NYC if I could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Oh oh--I have a stalker.

You have only seven posts. You're either a lurker or you changed your sign in.
    I've actually been a lurker here for a long time. I stumbled across this page several years ago and it was like waking up for the first time, but never felt the need to comment until recently when they were talking about gym stuff downstairs. I'm a competitive weightlifter, the kind you see at the Olympics, with the hairy Eastern European guys hoisting those colorful weights over their heads, so felt like maybe I had some knowledge to share. While I was at it, I figured I wouldn't pass up a chance to talk shell cordovan.

As for Carmina, they are a WHOOOOOLLLLLEEEE other world apart from AE and Alden. Only Alden styles that really speak to me are the Indy and maybe their cordovan straight tip boot. As for Carmina, gurl I would buy that whole damn STORE in NYC if I could.
    Right??? Their designs, and perhaps more importantly their lasts, for me really hit a sweet spot between fashion forward and timeless style. My black captoe oxfords in Rain are conservative but just sleek and aggressive enough that I don't feel too old-man when I am wearing them and everyone else is doing the navy suit X walnut Strands look. I also have a pair of burgundy museum calf single monks, also in the Rain last, which look just as good with a dark suit as they do with dark wash jeans and a t-shirt. If they do another no-upcharge-MTO event next month, I might be inclined to come at it from the other way, namely, with a more casual style, but in slightly less casual last. Longwing spectators perhaps, but sleeker than your average gunboat derby, and maybe in a more city color combo, e.g. blue + gray, vice the the usual brown/white pairing. But only if Daniela is working because everyone else at the NYC store can take their attitude and stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    But only if Daniela is working because everyone else at the NYC store can take their attitude and stuff it where the sun don't shine.
    have you dealt with Isaiah? He's always been phenomenal to work with and I can't imagine him having an attitude. A very young fella certainly by 'in charge of the store on his own' standards, *ESPECIALLY* in the field of quality footwear. Unless he moved on to another store or opening his own place, which is certainly possible given his expertise.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Right??? Their designs, and perhaps more importantly their lasts, for me really hit a sweet spot between fashion forward and timeless style. My black captoe oxfords in Rain are conservative but just sleek and aggressive enough that I don't feel too old-man when I am wearing them and everyone else is doing the navy suit X walnut Strands look. I also have a pair of burgundy museum calf single monks, also in the Rain last, which look just as good with a dark suit as they do with dark wash jeans and a t-shirt. If they do another no-upcharge-MTO event next month, I might be inclined to come at it from the other way, namely, with a more casual style, but in slightly less casual last. Longwing spectators perhaps, but sleeker than your average gunboat derby, and maybe in a more city color combo, e.g. blue + gray, vice the the usual brown/white pairing. But only if Daniela is working because everyone else at the NYC store can take their attitude and stuff it where the sun don't shine.
    Okay--you've convinced me, Carmina is next on my list. It is now jumped a head of St. Crispen and Alden.

But it's probably going to be some time before I'm in NYC again. I will probably buy online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    have you dealt with Isaiah? He's always been phenomenal to work with and I can't imagine him having an attitude. A very young fella certainly by 'in charge of the store on his own' standards, *ESPECIALLY* in the field of quality footwear. Unless he moved on to another store or opening his own place, which is certainly possible given his expertise.
    Gah! How rude of me to forget. I actually met him the very first time I went to the Carmina store. He must have been quite new that day because the store was run by a couple of bearded undercut bros and he sort of deferred to them. Typically I actually like being ignored by staff, but this time I went specifically to ask about the lasts and styles and MTO program, as I previously only knew of them through the internet, and the guys in charge ignored me but were falling over themselves to help some people who were more obviously planning to buy. I on the other hand was in a polo and chinos and obviously clueless. I figured that that was just how NYC rolls, esp. since their location probably attracts a lot of foot traffic not serious about shoes, so I just went up to them and started talking to them directly, at which point one of them gestured at the wall and said, "Everything we have is over there" and then they actually turned away and pretended to look at a computer, like an angry girlfriend. Yeesh. Again, I'm not one to complain about customer service usually, and am generally actually a bit embarrassed when sales guys come over to help, but this was just plain unnecessary on their part.

I hate going to Manhattan and wasn't about to leave emptyhanded having already breathed all that ozone and urine, so I stood around making a list of specific questions. Isaiah came out from the back room a bit later, saw me, and came over to see what I was up to. When the other two realized I was serious, he got permission to engage a bit more and start bringing me things to try from the stockroom around the corner. What ended up happening was, they were momentarily out of the black Rain captoe in my size so I had to come back a few days later. Isaiah was out that day but Daniela was there and decided to put me through a much more rigorous fitting process so that I would know how I fit in all their lasts, instead of just what size to get in Rain/Forest. She also later helped me make some recommendations for an MTO, which I really appreciated, so I've been only going to her since, but I am not surprised to learn that Isaiah's hitting his stride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Who's getting what?
    I swung by this morning with no plans to purchase - just wanted to have a look at the shaved cordovan 5th Ave and see what all the fuss is about. 10 minutes later I was swiping my card for a pair of Strands in Chili.