Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any last minute advice for a trip to a Suit Supply store?

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    I had a good experience at the one in Las Vegas a few years ago. Wound up buying a Napoli. The associate who helped me was probably in his 20s but was knowledgable. Amazingly the suit didn't need any tailoring other than the pants hemmed, which they did while I waited. My tip would be to prepared for fits that are quite a bit slimmer than typical off-the-rack fits. In particular the jacket waists are basically pre-suppressed and pretty aggressively.
    This ^^ I was in the Vegas store and the experience was amazing. If we were not in the middle of summer holiday, with a messy car and a bunch of camping gear, I likely would have purchased a new suit. That's how impressed I was. Luckily (?) my role in the office has changed and I no longer wear a suit four days a week, so my suit wearing is now where it used to be. But still. Totally impressed with the service.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Dave,
    Have you ever visited the Toronto store? I need to invest in a formal biz suit and am thinking about making the trip downtown...

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1399 Post(s)
    @Ruggedcasual yes. I stopped in there when I was passing through there on business. Again, I was tempted to pick up a new suit and a couple of dress shirts. But I was getting ready to catch a plane in a couple of hours and didn't feel like doing the whole packing/unpacking thing.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Picked up the suit the other day. The tailoring seems to have done the trick. But still a much slimmer cut than I'm used to. Like my wife says, it will keep me motivated to not get fatter.

I'm not sure if this suit is worth $700 or not (that includes alterations and tax). How does one determine that?

It's a really nice suit, no doubt. Seems better made then my two Brooks Bros suits that I got on sale for about $500 each; with taxes and alterations, close to $650--so, I guess it has value when compared to BB.

On the other hand, it looks like S&M has suits for a couple hundred less. Are they as good? I don't know. I haven't seen one in person that I know of.

Certainly better than my BR, JB, and Macy suits. But those were really inexpensive on sale. $100 to $250. So, not really a fair comparison.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to wearing it sometime soon. Not sure when I'll have a chance.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I wish my wife would make me buy a suit!