Thread: Amalfi Coast

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Amalfi Coast

So Iím headed to Europe in a few weeks and wanted some ideas from the crew here. I think Iím set on the basics. Iíll Likely have my berks (haters gonna hate), classic white sneakers and maybe my boat shoes or nanos (for hiking). Few pairs of shorts, swim trunks, button down shirts and short sleeve Henleyís. Maybe bring my whitish chinos.

Iím looking for some ideas on accessories or outfit that would be fun to pull off while in the Amalfi coast with my wife. What would you guys recommend I consider?

Any must doís while out there are welcome too, but donít want it to get too OT.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    Iíd bring an unstructured blazer for dinner. Definitely bring chinos and maybe a pair of dark wash jeans. Italians donít wear shorts, especially in the evening, as much as Americans do.

Also a hat and sunglasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    First off, congrats on the trip...you're going to love the Amalfi coast! Definitely second the chinos/dark jeans/linen pants for evenings. It's relatively casual as a tourist destination, but you would definitely want a casual blazer for dinners. When I was there, there was actually a ballet one evening, and there were people walking the beach in full tuxedo...so don't be afraid to go dressier than you might here.

Because you mentioned hiking, DEFINITELY look up the Path of the Gods (give it a Google if you haven't already). It's unlike any hike I've ever gone on, hugging cliff edges, and the bus ride up is an adventure in itself. On that hike (if I'm not mistaken about 4 miles, with a lot of elevation change), you'd be forgiven for the shorts! Definitely bring some comfortable walking shoes, as the cities are all built into the cliffs. Bring some swim trunks and look into a day trip to Capri as well.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, pack as light as possible, because there's a good chance you'll be lugging your tote up about 8 stories worth of stairs! You can always do some shopping there, they have a ton of great shops, some of which were surprisingly affordable.

Have fun!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    You're going to love Amalfi! I'd second (or third) the recommendation for a casual sportcoat for dinners, but I'd skip the dark wash denim this time of year. I was there a few Octobers back and it was too hot for denim, nor did I see any native Italians wearing denim. Definitely bring chinos (a linen cotton blend would be ideal.) If you can work in a trip to Capri, it's worth it. We took a private boat around the island, which was surprisingly affordable and a really wonderful experience.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks Gents. Capri and Path of the Gods are on the list for sure!

Iíll sneak a sport coat in the bag as well. Any other ideas on accessories? I was thinking maybe a leather bracelet thing or necklace to add to the beachy/coastal vibe?