Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casual shoes - sneakers edition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Casual shoes - sneakers edition

I have always struggle with casual shoes. I either have my brightly color Nike running shoes or dress shoes or boots (bought a pair of Magnanni boots that should last forever a couple of years ago). The Nikes are perfectly fine in the summer when I'm shorts and a t-shirt, but I know I need to up my game for the cooler months though I live in KC where outside of maybe 4 weeks, it doesn't get insanely cold for an extended period. It's still cold but no northeastern, upper midwest winters here.

My go to pant option in the cooler months is the Bonobos washed stretch chinos. I have a few different colors, but I tend to wear the Cognos (kind of army green) the most. I've been on a no jean thing for a few years running now.
    Given our climate, I'm likely to layer the upper half, so on weekends, when we are doing kid stuff, I might have a short or long sleeve t-shirt under some sort of hoodie or jacket. If it's actually cold, I'll wear my midweight, packable Northface jacket - typically over a hoodie. In the past I've just worn my standard Nike's with this type of outfit - which is fine... but dresses you down too much. I feel like I might look a little sloppy.

All that said, I want to up my shoe game - I'd like to find some 'sneakers' that are as comfortable as my Nikes, but could actually be worn in a nicer casual setting and not look like sloppy. A lot of people like the all white shoes, but I've never like those nor I have like the shoes where the laces seem to start too low on the shoe.

My initial foray towards this goal was to purchase these York Athletic shoes from Huckberry - https://huckberry.com/store/york-ath...low-optic-mesh. They just arrived today, and while I like them, I think I might return them because I feel like on the athletic shoes to casual shoe scale, they are a little too far over on the athletic side. If I was trying to find some shoes to fit into an athleisure bucket, these would be perfect. But... I tried them on with my Bonobos chinos, and they seem too close to my Nikes albeit not so brightly colored. They have also a really interesting mesh body that is designed to keep you cool, but that probably defeats my purpose of a shoe for the cooler months.

While looking at those York shoes, I also ran across these - https://huckberry.com/store/oliver-c...iner-exclusive. Comically expensive for sneakers, but the description leads me to believe that these are made of very high quality material. It doesn't hurt that two of the pictures match what I wear a lot of in the cooler months (army greenish chinos and tshirt - grey in this case). The pictures also make me think this or something like this is closer to what I'm trying to find. But that price...

What other suggestions do people have about nicer looking casual shoes? People will probably mention the Killshots. I've look at them before, and they are a bit too minimalist for me in physical size. I am by no means a big guy, but I "don't skip leg day", and I just feel physically slender shoes like the Killshots look funny on people with even a little bit of muscle. I need something with just slightly more heft. Example - the Rennes trainers I linked look to have a bit more material on them.

***I titled this sneaker edition because I have the same question about casual, non sneaker varieties. We can leave those suggestions to a different thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Those Rennes trainers aren't bad (except for the price, of course).

They might be too minimal for you, and they're also in the super expensive range, but I really like the Horween CXL #8 Low Tops from Gustin: https://www.weargustin.com/store/sho...-cxl-8-low-top

Rancourt also has some comically expensive sneakers -- nearing or at $300 -- over on Huckberry in a similar style but in a medium brown color.

Or what about something like these? https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens...akers-a21du019

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Personally I love minimalist sneakers and I have several pairs from different companies. My favorite brand is Crown Northampton, but they are a bit pricey. They are however incredibly comfortable and really high quality. I also have a couple pairs of Greats and Oliver Cabells. I love the look of the Oliver Cabell sneakers, but they are very sleek (which I really like). Greats by comparison are a bit bulkier. I also have a pair of Common Projects which I got at 40% off through Mr Porter last year. I have received a ton of compliments on all these sneakers. All of these are 100% leather inside and out and in my opinion worth the price as they are so much nicer looking and so much higher quality than your typical casual sneakers.

There are a ton of options out there. If these are more than you want to spend, you might look at New Republic. They are not of the same construction (glued rather than stitched to the sole) but they are very nice looking.

I've also heard good things about sneakers from Suit Supply and Beckett Simonon, but I have no personal experience with either.
    Last edited by smitty; August 23rd, 2019 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Another thought could be to look at a GAT (german army trainer) if you want something that is not so minimalist. Oliver Cabell makes them in a variety of colors. I have the all white ones and like them a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input. At the very least, you've made me feel better about spending that much. I might have to give the Oliver Cabell's a shot. What about sizing... For example, my Nike sneakers are 11.5, but the Oliver Cabell's don't come in half sizes. I have room in my Nikes. Would 11 in the Oliver Cabell's be the safer choice?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesape View Post
    Thanks for the input. At the very least, you've made me feel better about spending that much. I might have to give the Oliver Cabell's a shot. What about sizing... For example, my Nike sneakers are 11.5, but the Oliver Cabell's don't come in half sizes. I have room in my Nikes. Would 11 in the Oliver Cabell's be the safer choice?
    The GATs I have are a bit longer than the minimalist ones. I wear a 10 and their GAT is probably a half size big on me. The others fit me perfectly.

100% leather inside and out. They actually get more comfortable the more you wear them. They took a bit of breaking in, but it's well worth it.

The Oliver Cabell website actually recommends sizing down if you are a half size.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    JFitzpatrick is running a sale with minimalist leather sneakers coming in under $140. I don't have first hand experience with them but they look as nice as any other pair of sneakers and Justin's shoes are well reviewed everywhere.
    https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/...tions/sneakers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Just ordered the Oliver Cabell's from Huckberry. Will report back once I get them.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    JFitzpatrick is running a sale with minimalist leather sneakers coming in under $140. I don't have first hand experience with them but they look as nice as any other pair of sneakers and Justin's shoes are well reviewed everywhere.
    https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/...tions/sneakers
    I don't have his sneakers, but I have a pair of his shoes and a pair of his button boots. I love them.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesape View Post
    I'm not a sneaker guy, but if you want something that you won't see anybody else wearing, take a look at some of the offerings from Herring. I've purchased shoes from them and found them to be excellent.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/searc...mal_search_box
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.