Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of Rolex Sub maintenance - what's normal?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I bought my watched used from Crown and Caliber. I don't know when it was serviced last although I think C&C services them before sale.
    I'm pretty sure C&C just inspects the watches for authenticity and sticks them on a timegrapher to make sure they are running tolerably. I don't think they service anything they sell unless it is clearly broken or running out of spec.

Their website says:

Every watch that comes through our doors is authenticated and performance-tested, ensuring that it’s running the way it was intended.
    Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    C&C will also service the watch if you live near them. At $600 I would send in to Rolex and have them do it for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Sounds ballpark right to me unfortunately. I had a vintage Omega that I bought used for around $500 (no sentimental value there), and was quoted in the $500 to $600 range for a service. I couldn't justify it, and ended up selling it. For me, the service costs are what keeps me away from diving back into the "luxury" watch arena, though I do get the itch from time to time. A watch may hold it's value, but if you have to service it twice a decade, you're talking over a grand just to keep what you have running....or I could buy 5 Orients, and just toss them when they stop running. I know that's not comparable, but until I have the funds to buy a watch and not flinch at the service costs, I guess I'm not ready for the watch.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    Sounds ballpark right to me unfortunately. I had a vintage Omega that I bought used for around $500 (no sentimental value there), and was quoted in the $500 to $600 range for a service. I couldn't justify it, and ended up selling it. For me, the service costs are what keeps me away from diving back into the "luxury" watch arena, though I do get the itch from time to time. A watch may hold it's value, but if you have to service it twice a decade, you're talking over a grand just to keep what you have running....or I could buy 5 Orients, and just toss them when they stop running. I know that's not comparable, but until I have the funds to buy a watch and not flinch at the service costs, I guess I'm not ready for the watch.
    I am on 6 years with my GMT without a service. It depends on what you are doing with your watch and the maintenance schedules. I am by no means diving with my watch like I would if it were a Sub but I do everything except run with it so yard work, playing with kids, and all sorts of other things.

Also, most things in life if you plan on owning them have routine maintenance. Homes, cars, clothes, and most importantly your body.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    My modern Omegas have gone to Omega for service - and $500 - $700 seems to be ballpark cost. So yes, if you are playing in the modern luxury space, you’re talking about watches that cost in the $5000 range (give or take) and you should budget 20% of the original cost per decade for service....

Incidentally, I have a couple of vintage Omegas and a vintage Zodiac (my dad’s from 1973) that I have taken to an independent shop that I trust. Full service has been about $200 and they have been fine.
    Mark

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    @DocDave I'm looking into the same thing.I was just in at Nesbit's (very well regarded watch repair shop) on Thursday and asked about service cost for my 1999 sub. They quoted me at 650 for a service as they had a sale going, otherwise its normally 700 something + parts. Also depends when last serviced of course, mine has been 14 years.

Regarding authorized dealer VS independent watchmaker, I think there are some people that would only go to one or the other. I personally would prefer an independent watchmaker if I knew they were reliable and had a stellar reputation. The guy I talked to was happy to not polish the case, and similarly will not insist on messing with the hands/dial if you don't want them to. They get what people look for in older watches, and it's not just get them running again. I think the majority of regular Rolex customers really aren't looking at the same things a collector might be.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/ro...ng-609305.html

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Here's a list of recommended independents from TRF https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=32666

I would try to see if they had a contract with rolex to get parts, that would def be an encouraging sign, or ask around at TRF

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Also, Nesbit's quoted me 4 to 5 weeks