Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: J.Crew - the end is near?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I will usually buy at sales but I've also Def bought at full price before if im with the wife and kids at the mall and go to jcrew to kill time and see something I like. I'm sure there are people that usually buy at full price just because they buy what they like without really looking at the tag. I would be really curious to see what percentage of their sales were at full price VS sale price.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    J Crew is under a huge mountain of debt. They have more serious problems than where they sell their merchandise. It wouldn't be a shock to see them go under one of these days.
    If I'm reading their annual 10K right, they've made about 4 million dollars total over the last two years before any interest payments. They've clearly got a problem selling their merchandise.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmacgas View Post
    I will usually buy at sales but I've also Def bought at full price before if im with the wife and kids at the mall and go to jcrew to kill time and see something I like. I'm sure there are people that usually buy at full price just because they buy what they like without really looking at the tag. I would be really curious to see what percentage of their sales were at full price VS sale price.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    40% today only. 50% if you have a j crew card.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I wish I could remember exactly what the article I read about a year or two ago said. It was from a legitimate source like WSJ or Forbes.

The gist of it was that J Crew has essentially put themselves into this spot where no one thinks their clothes are worth the full retail price anymore. This happened when they went from selling reasonably priced, decent quality clothes to trying to sell “high quality” clothes for higher prices. Now they are constantly having to discount all of this merchandise in order to move it, and this is resulting in incredibly low profit margins and mountains of debt.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    I wish I could remember exactly what the article I read about a year or two ago said. It was from a legitimate source like WSJ or Forbes.

The gist of it was that J Crew has essentially put themselves into this spot where no one thinks their clothes are worth the full retail price anymore. This happened when they went from selling reasonably priced, decent quality clothes to trying to sell “high quality” clothes for higher prices. Now they are constantly having to discount all of this merchandise in order to move it, and this is resulting in incredibly low profit margins and mountains of debt.
    They aren't. Lets be real. The colors fade faster and the stitching isn't on par with what they used to be. I have no idea which came first but I don't think the clothes are worth full price anymore. Maybe I have just become more picky too. Don't get me wrong, big j crew fan. But not at full sticker. At that price point they are just another face in the crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    I’ve seen mainline Brooks Brothers, Todd Snyder, BR, J Crew etc at TJMaxx and Marshalls for years. The quality/brand of the items seem to be region specific. I live in OH, and rarely see those brands at home. When I visit S. FL I make a point to hit these stores because they seem to generally have better items/brands.

I don’t see this as a significant sign of trouble.
    Fair enough. I’ve seen all but J.Crew at my local T.J.Maxx. With Wallace and Barnes being “high end”, I was surprised to see an item pop up at the local store - I was wondering if it was a new phenomenon. Guess not. The debt load, of course, is another issue. Seems like many retailers have gotten themselves whacked by taking on too much debt. So it goes...
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if the end is near, but I check the JCew website for suits on a daily basis and at times it seems like the website is being organized by a toddler. Yesterday, I clicked on a new suit (black grey brown check), then five seconds later I couldn't find the suit on the site. Then when I checked the website today, they reorganized things (with suit jackets directly above matching suit pants). The reorganization makes sense, but I've seen so many changes that I've wondered what's going on with the company as a whole.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    They aren't. Lets be real. The colors fade faster and the stitching isn't on par with what they used to be. I have no idea which came first but I don't think the clothes are worth full price anymore. Maybe I have just become more picky too. Don't get me wrong, big j crew fan. But not at full sticker. At that price point they are just another face in the crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I generally agree, but I will say that my linen-cotton blend "unsuit" was worth full retail. It's an example of them sometimes still being able to knock it out of the park.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I generally agree, but I will say that my linen-cotton blend "unsuit" was worth full retail. It's an example of them sometimes still being able to knock it out of the park.
    Thats a good example of a unique offering at a decent quality level. Thats where they get my money too. It has to be a combination of design and construction to warrant that full price for me. Of course value is all relative and can vary from person to person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    J. Crew used to be my go to clothing store, but that probably ended 7 or so years ago. The prices started getting way too high for the quality, and I couldn't remove them from just being a "mall" store. Basically I didn't think they warranted being expensive. I viewed them as good, classic, looking clothes at decent prices. Once the prices started going up, they started hitting "higher end" price levels. If I was going to spend their prices, I was going to look for something that I perceived as higher quality than J. Crew. I think that is what ultimately lead me to Bonobos.
    I very, very, very rarely look at J. Crew anymore, but if I were to buy anything, I've definitely been condition to never pay full price. With that said, as Bonobos prices have started to increase, I've started to be conditioned to not pay full price for their stuff either.