Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of G.H. Bass & Co shoes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Quality of G.H. Bass & Co shoes

Does anyone have any experience with G.H. Bass & Co. as far as quality (relative to the low pricing). I happen to click on a G.H. Bass & Co advertisement on Dappered.com and stumbled upon some sale items (with lots of different sizes available). I have never worn Weejuns or boat shoes before but I am considering buying a pair for casual spring/summer wear. The website description doesn't list much, only 'hand sewn on the last construction'...not sure what marketing term hand sewn denotes (cemented/bonded or possibly blake stitched?).... I know for the pricing that I should not to expect the same quality such as Ranquort, Quodday, AE, etc.

I have my eyes on one of these

Bradford Weejuns On sale for $89.00 + 30% off + 15% promo code WINTERBONUS = $49.00

Turner Weejuns $118.00 + 30% off + 15% promo code WINTERBONUS = $64.90

Kennebec Weejuns (olive color) $128.00 + 30% off = $89.00

Wesley Weejuns (has a strap'ish look to it) $128.00 - 30% off + 15% promo code WINTERBONUS = $70.40

Rangeley Weejuns - maybe

Thoughts? Thanks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarizo View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with G.H. Bass & Co. as far as quality (relative to the low pricing). I happen to click on a G.H. Bass & Co advertisement on Dappered.com and stumbled upon some sale items (with lots of different sizes available). I have never worn Weejuns or boat shoes before but I am considering buying a pair for casual spring/summer wear. The website description doesn't list much, only 'hand sewn on the last construction'...not sure what marketing term hand sewn denotes (cemented/bonded or possibly blake stitched?).... I know for the pricing that I should not to expect the same quality such as Ranquort, Quodday, AE, etc.

Bradford Weejuns On sale for $89.00 + 30% off + 15% promo code WINTERBONUS = $49.00

Wesley Weejuns (has a strap'ish look to it) $128.00 - 30% off + 15% promo code WINTERBONUS = $70.40

Rangeley Weejuns - maybe

Thoughts? Thanks
    No experience with their Weejuns, but I do own their suede bucks (cost ~$50). 2 years and still going strong - strongly considering a second pair if I can find them again for fifty or less. I'd strongly consider the $50 pair of Weejuns if I were you, as you'll probably get value there. I've heard too many mixed reviews on poor quality in their newer Weejuns compared to previous models to back spending more on a pair. For instance, if spending $90 on Bass, why not snag a pair of AE seconds for $110 or whatever some of the closeout loafers go for?

In short, go for it if you like one of the $50 or $60 pairs. Stay clear and spend the extra $20-30 if you want a better guarantee of quality.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I bought a pair of Penny Loafers (Weejuns -not sure which model) from DSW on sale about a year ago. They need to be replaced. I'm not going to buy Weejuns again.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    I've had a couple of pairs of Bass shoes from the outlet--I'm not sure if they're a lower quality outlet brand, or leftovers from the main line stuff.

One pair was a set of casual lace-ups. The other are my massive snow boots (Sorrel knockoffs). Neither was a super high-end product, but they proved to be durable and comfortable. I feel like I did well for what I paid.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    I've had a couple of pairs of Bass shoes from the outlet--I'm not sure if they're a lower quality outlet brand, or leftovers from the main line stuff.
    I've always wondered this. I've never seen a Bass store that wasn't in an outlet center.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I bought a pair of bucks. The first time I wore them I noticed a lot of rubbing against the outside of my left ankle. It became more and more painful and by the time I had a chance to take them off, my ankle was pretty torn up. I was wondering why it was only on the left foot, so I looked at them closely and noticed that the height of the left shoe around the ankle rose a full centimeter higher than the right shoe. It was just enough to cut into the bottom of that ankle bone that sticks out.

So, there's definitely a chance you could get a crap pair. Make sure there's a good return policy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarizo View Post

Rangeley Weejuns - maybe

Thoughts? Thanks
    I have 2 Weejuns penny loafers I will not buy them again. They are my prefer summer dress shoes and they look all beat up after one summer season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Logan weejuns from Bass and I love them. Good color and took very little breaking in

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    While I've no experience with their weejuns I've had a pair of suede saddle shoes for about four years and a pair of black wingtip boots for about three years and both are comfortable and still going strong, but I'm pretty diligent in caring for my shoes and both if these see limited rotation. I'm not dissapointed in the slightest but I think they're quality varies pretty wildly as others I know haven't been so lucky.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby patrick View Post
    While I've no experience with their weejuns I've had a pair of suede saddle shoes for about four years and a pair of black wingtip boots for about three years and both are comfortable and still going strong, but I'm pretty diligent in caring for my shoes and both if these see limited rotation. I'm not dissapointed in the slightest but I think they're quality varies pretty wildly as others I know haven't been so lucky.
    I think it's a different ballgame with the bucks vs. the Weejuns. I've had similar experiences with the bucks and have only heard negative things about the Weejuns (excluding vintage pairs).