Thread: Bonobos and Spier and Mackey Suit Experience

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Bonobos and Spier and Mackey Suit Experience

Hello all- thought Id share my experiences ordering suits from Bonobos and Spier and Mackey for the first time.

Bonobos

I had a mixed experience for my first time ordering suits/blazers from Bonobos. The service, shipping and packaging were all amazing! Since I wasnt sure what size or fit I would be in Bonobos, I ordered multiple sizes/fits of both the blazer and the suit I was looking at. I normally wear a 46L in Suitsupply, and either a 44L or 46L in JCrew (depending on the fit). I am 6"3, 200lbs with an athletic frame (love the gym). And so I ordered a 46L "athletic," a 44L "athletic" and a 44l standard. The 46L "athletic" was way too big. The 44L "athletic" mostly fit well in the shoulders, arms and waist, yet the chest was a bit billowy for some reason. I then tried the 44L "standard," which fit better in the chest yet was way too tight and pinched in the shoulders. Very weird fit on my body- it was like I needed something between an athletic and a standard even though my chest is fairly large by most standards. Since I loved the quality/look/color and price (sub $150 on sale!) of the blazer, I ended up keeping it in the 44L "athletic."

The suit fit similarly (a jetsetter stretch wool suit), but I ended up returning it as the fabric just felt and looked very cheap- almost like a jcpenny suit or something. Really was interested in getting a "stretch" suit, but found the quality way lacking as compared to suitsupply or jcrew. A bit odd, since I felt the quality of the non-stretch blazer that I got (an unconstructed, airy italian wool blazer) was pretty great.

Spier and Mackey

Since the Bonobos suit didnt work out and I was still in the market for a blue/navy basic suit after the slim pickings from the Suitsupply outlet, I decided to make a calculated risk and buy a final sale suit from Spier and Mackey's clearance sale a week or two ago. Despite all the great praise on this site about Spier, I never ordered from them and stuck to Suitsupply and jcrew for the most part. But the $199 price was too hard to pass up, so I gave it a shot.

So glad I did! The fit was just about perfect off the rack (I ordered a 44L contemporary- which seemed to be the largest size they offer? At least in the clearance suit options?). Shoulders and chest were great (esp compared to bonobos), and the wool looks and feels to be high quality (even though it was their Australian wool option). I do love some Suitsupply, so SuSu "might" have a slight edge in overall quality- but not much. For $199, a Spier suit is a no-brainer. This may be one of my best suit purchases (balancing value, quality and fit) perhaps ever. I highly recommend giving Spier a shot- especially if they have another sale. The only negative was that the suit arrived a bit crumpled in the box they used- the packaging otherwise was great, but they should probably invest in using proper suit boxes than a standard 18"x15"x8" box that you can find at home depot. Also, it did take about a week to get the suit.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    I'd like to see some fit pics because I'm about an inch shorter than you with a good 15-20 pounds on you and Spier & Mackay 42R Contemporary fits great on my frame.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TooFlySun View Post
    Hello all- thought Id share my experiences ordering suits from Bonobos and Spier and Mackey for the first time.

Bonobos

I had a mixed experience for my first time ordering suits/blazers from Bonobos. The service, shipping and packaging were all amazing! Since I wasnt sure what size or fit I would be in Bonobos, I ordered multiple sizes/fits of both the blazer and the suit I was looking at. I normally wear a 46L in Suitsupply, and either a 44L or 46L in JCrew (depending on the fit). I am 6"3, 200lbs with an athletic frame (love the gym). And so I ordered a 46L "athletic," a 44L "athletic" and a 44l standard. The 46L "athletic" was way too big. The 44L "athletic" mostly fit well in the shoulders, arms and waist, yet the chest was a bit billowy for some reason. I then tried the 44L "standard," which fit better in the chest yet was way too tight and pinched in the shoulders. Very weird fit on my body- it was like I needed something between an athletic and a standard even though my chest is fairly large by most standards. Since I loved the quality/look/color and price (sub $150 on sale!) of the blazer, I ended up keeping it in the 44L "athletic."

The suit fit similarly (a jetsetter stretch wool suit), but I ended up returning it as the fabric just felt and looked very cheap- almost like a jcpenny suit or something. Really was interested in getting a "stretch" suit, but found the quality way lacking as compared to suitsupply or jcrew. A bit odd, since I felt the quality of the non-stretch blazer that I got (an unconstructed, airy italian wool blazer) was pretty great.

Spier and Mackey

Since the Bonobos suit didnt work out and I was still in the market for a blue/navy basic suit after the slim pickings from the Suitsupply outlet, I decided to make a calculated risk and buy a final sale suit from Spier and Mackey's clearance sale a week or two ago. Despite all the great praise on this site about Spier, I never ordered from them and stuck to Suitsupply and jcrew for the most part. But the $199 price was too hard to pass up, so I gave it a shot.

So glad I did! The fit was just about perfect off the rack (I ordered a 44L contemporary- which seemed to be the largest size they offer? At least in the clearance suit options?). Shoulders and chest were great (esp compared to bonobos), and the wool looks and feels to be high quality (even though it was their Australian wool option). I do love some Suitsupply, so SuSu "might" have a slight edge in overall quality- but not much. For $199, a Spier suit is a no-brainer. This may be one of my best suit purchases (balancing value, quality and fit) perhaps ever. I highly recommend giving Spier a shot- especially if they have another sale. The only negative was that the suit arrived a bit crumpled in the box they used- the packaging otherwise was great, but they should probably invest in using proper suit boxes than a standard 18"x15"x8" box that you can find at home depot. Also, it did take about a week to get the suit.
    I've ordered several times now from bonobos, a variety of items including 3-4 suits. You're right, the quality of wool is simply not on par with either Spier or SuSu. I'm fine for what I paid, but they aren't in the same class.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Nice review, very succinct. I’ve been very happy with my SS outlet suit purchases after little tailoring, and also my S&M suit and blazer purchases after some time spent trying to find the correct fit and size. I think the quality is very close, with S&M coming in with styles closer to my liking each season, so they’ve become my go to. Outlet was disappointing for SS.