Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are you anticipating any specific fall mans clothing trends happening this year?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)

are you anticipating any specific fall mans clothing trends happening this year?

my personal idea of what we are going to see is:

I feel like suede Chelseas is going to be on the list.
    more vintage watches
    more middle 1970s sorts of wierd brown colors for leather, and other things in home items and mens clothes and accessories. i think it's going to be all over the place.
    contrary to dappered 2012 rules, i think light wash denim is back with the kids. also tie die.
    i think stretch chinos will keep drumming on, as i hate them.

i think these things are gone, hasta la byebye

-quilted jackets
    -bomber jackets
    -jogger chinos? cross my fingers

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    i wonder which kind of ugly-necked sweater they'll be pushing this year. you never know!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)
    I think it depends what you mean by what we will see. Do you mean main stream? Here or in general by those that emphasize clothing?

I donít know if itís my circles or what but I cannot recall seeing a pair of Chelseaís in the wild around this dc area. Granted Iím older now and with a kid so I donít go out much. So I cannot see them becoming mainstream.

Fashion runs in circles and I agree that we will eventually see a movement away from dark denim. I mean heck fanny packs came back it seems this summer so I assume almost any bad style is fair game for repeating haha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Not really a Fall thing but I keep waiting for a decisive swing away from slim fits in suits. We've seen lapels get wider over the last couple years. Next I'm guessing we'll see looser and longer coat fits. Maybe it'll happen when we roll over into 2020.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    If by longer, you mean the proper length, I'm hoping for that as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Preach!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    If by longer, you mean the proper length, I'm hoping for that as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Right, a return to something more like the historical average for length. A recent pic of Benedict Cumberbatch in another thread got me thinking. He's wearing a jacket that's pretty traditional in length, has widish lapels, and is slightly boxy in the shoulders. Granted it's pulled in pretty aggressively at the waist and has kind of a high buttoning point, but otherwise looks almost like what you might call neo-traditional or something. It got me thinking that maybe we're seeing the inklings of a shift.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    Not really a Fall thing but I keep waiting for a decisive swing away from slim fits in suits. We've seen lapels get wider over the last couple years. Next I'm guessing we'll see looser and longer coat fits. Maybe it'll happen when we roll over into 2020.
    Eh, I hope not. As a short guy (5'6") that's nearly completely ignored by the industry, it helps to have slimmer lapels and shorter length jackets, even for sizes not explicitly tagged as "short."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    BTW here's the pic:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    We're probably used to texture and patterns in sportcoats because we care about this kind of stuff, but I wonder if the mall shops (BR, J Crew, Zara, etc.) will pick up on what SuitSupply, Spier and Mackay (I just can't write it as S&M), Benjamin/eHaberdasher, etc. have been doing for years - gun checks, glen plaids, donegal, and so forth, and incorporating more earthtones. It seems like the boldest they've gotten is herringbone in gray or navy so far.

Then again, I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy peacocking just a bit when I show up with a gun check s/c and everyone else is "daring" to wear corduroy.

Good gosh I sound like a snob. I wore flip-flops yesterday. There. Eye for an eye.