Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oxford Shoes

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    I do not understand how they can call that an oxford. It sure as hell wouldn't qualify under the eponymous Oxford school dress code.
    its marketing. you can call anything anything. doesn't make it that thing.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    500 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    I do not understand how they can call that an oxford. It sure as hell wouldn't qualify under the eponymous Oxford school dress code.
    To quote wikipedia:

An Oxford shoe is characterized by shoelace eyelets tabs that are attached under the vamp,[1] a feature termed "closed lacing".[2] This contrasts with Derbys, or bluchers, which have shoelace eyelets attached to the top of the vamp. Originally, Oxfords were plain, formal shoes, made of leather, but they evolved into a range of styles suitable for formal, uniform, or casual wear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_shoe

So, now it's not a matter of formality, but how the shoelace eyelet tabs are attached to the vamp.

And to make it more confusing, you will find several shoe retail websites that lump oxford and derby under the same category of "oxfords," which they use to mean "dress" shoes.

For example, Nordstrom Rack and Kenneth Cole call this derby/blucher an "oxford," but it's not:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...rd?color=BLACK
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I like an oxford for more dressed up styling and have the AE Park Avenue in oxblood as well as the AE Cornwallis in black. If you think a black cap toe is boring, go with something like the Cornwallis - a plain, medallion toe, perhaps.