Thread: How is this Bonobos suit for interviews?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

How is this Bonobos suit for interviews?

I'll be externing and interviewing for Oral Surgery residencies over the next year and have started to casually look for an appropriate suite. I've got quite a while before I will actually need one, but the current Bonobos sale has this suit for about $200:

https://bonobos.com/bundles/jetsette..._id=2772894757

It seems a bit more casual with the print, but what do you think? Or should I pass and keep my eye our for a solid navy suit?

Thanks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    As long as you get it in a relatively conservative cut (i.e., don't buy a size/fit that looks super slim on you), this suit would be fine. Ideally, it would be a bit darker of a shade of navy and in a solid pattern, but the pattern looks relatively subtle, and the shade of blue isn't terribly bright (at least on my computer screen).

Again, the pattern or color might be a bit louder in person, but at least online, it would be OK. Although hospitals are relatively conservative, they're not as ultra conservative as finance or law (as far as I'm aware). You're also protected here with free shipping/returns.

Best,

Dan

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)
    Suit looks ok to me if you go with a white shirt and simple tie in terms of pattern or design. Let the suit have the texture and print.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Not bad for the price. Make sure the jacket is long enough, and I wouldn't do the dandy light brown shoe thing.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)
    I like it. I wouldn't wear it to an interview on Wall St., a DC lobbying firm, or a stodgy big law firm. But any place else--sure. And most of you younger folks would do fine with it even at one of those more traditional places.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    I think the suit works fine for an interview. Like most suits though, after you get it be sure to visit your tailor. Have him/her take a look at you in the suit and make whatever adjustments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the input! ...and I didn't notice it was free shipping and returns so I'm going to go for it.

I was thinking of pairing it with some Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. I figure you can't go wrong with those?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by embrassurespace View Post
    Thanks for all the input! ...and I didn't notice it was free shipping and returns so I'm going to go for it.

I was thinking of pairing it with some Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. I figure you can't go wrong with those?
    I agree. Great-looking shoe.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the world of dentistry and oral surgery. I'm an endodontist and feel i may be well qualified to answer your question.
    I trained in NYC and practice in Washington DC to give you an idea of how my opinion is influenced. I visit all the major cities when i attend meetings, lectures and seminars.
    IMO, the world of dentistry is mostly conservative. Hospital and dental school faculty also conservative.

I recommend you wear a Navy Blue Brooks Brothers suit with a modern but not slim cut, and the AE shoes for your interviews. No program directors or attending surgeons interviewing you will ever hold that look against you. Most likely, they will be impressed. You will also fit in at the more established dental study clubs and societies. These are made up of the successful doctors you need to impress in order to receive their patient referrals.

Buy the Bonobos suit! It's a great deal. You can wear it to impress a date or for social functions. Good Luck!
    Last edited by hsudds; August 3rd, 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I like it and the print looks fine.