Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What brand do I need to check a jacket or blazer for a skinny guy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basicbutch View Post
    Jcrew carries 36s, even 34 in some jackets. Bonobos has 36s as well. So does Spier and Mackay I believe. His height is in the range for a short size. If the 38 is big in the shoulders he needs to size down.
    Ok I see, I didn't realize J crew carry smaller than 38 or 36. I will check these stores, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd27 View Post
    I wear a 15 neck 32/33 shirt (I prefer the Nordrstrom's Smartcare dress shirts) and a 36R jacket (I prefer the Ludlow options from J Crew). For reference, I'm 28, roughly 160lbs, and 5'9"-10". I usually get my ties from the Tie Bar, if you're also looking for those as well.
    I wasn't sure if the nordstrom brand is good value but I will check it as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Oh boy.. I didn't think about too much of the jacket length or collar gap.
    There is a nordstrom rack here but I may still need to order it online. I will also check the shops that you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Jackets can be taken in through the waist/midsection by a tailor or seamstress - most places that do alterations are capable of that kind of garment surgery. Issues that are difficult to impossible to fix with alterations are: incorrect fit in the shoulders, collar gap (this can be a function of a jacket not fitting properly in the shoulders, but there are other causes), and jacket length (i.e. where the jacket ends relative to his torso/posterior). Sleeves that are too long are a very easy fix, but jacket torso length is pretty much impossible to fix without making the jacket look all out of proportion. Having a jacket taken in through the midsection is a little more complicated than sleeve length alterations but people have it done pretty regularly (men do for suit and sport coat jackets and lots of women who wear pant suits have it done too). There are limits to how much can be removed and still have the jacket look right, but he may be within those limits.

If you can find something that fits him properly off the rack in those three non-fixable areas (shoulders, body length and there's no collar gap issue) I would leave the tags on the jacket and keep track of the receipt, and then take it to a place you trust that does alterations and see if they think they can make it fit properly though the body with tailoring. If they say no way we can remove enough fabric then you'll need to keep shopping around, but if they seem comfortable the alterations could make the jacket look a lot better on his frame. If J Crew and Banana Republic don't work maybe go to Nordys or another department store where he can try on a bunch of different brands to find the one that fits his physique closest to perfect.

For reference, I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs., and wear a 38 in J Crew Ludlow fit jackets and Brooks Brothers Regent fit jackets (my BB regent fit shirt size is 14.5 32/33). If I went any smaller in the J Crew Ludlow I'm pretty sure I'd look like Chris Farley in David Spade's jacket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I should get the measurement tape first to measure him.. I just didn't expect to find clothes for him to be this tricky, I probably need to ask around to find a good one cause I didn't need one.
    About the shoes, I picked him a couple of cole haan shoes from nordstrom rack and it is still on the way to home. I picked each basic oxford in black and brown, one brown loafer. honestly, at this moment, shoes are the least concern for the whole outfit. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    At 5'7" and in a 14.5 neck he's looking at 36Short for jackets, but getting him properly measured would help.

There are video guides aplenty, or you could follow the worn guide on a site such as spiermackay.com. With waist/chest/shoulder measurements we'd have an easier time recommending which fit from what brand would work.

At 5'10" I wear similar sizes to your boyfriend, albeit usually in a 36Regular from Spier & Mackay (contemporary fit), or 36S from J.Crew or J.Crew Factory (Thompson). Banana Republic 36S Modern cut may work, but it's not a good value, nor are the various department store brands such as white-label Calvin Klein. Watch out for polyester linings, and if the lining material isn't stated you can safely assume it is polyester.

When it comes to suit jackets, often it's a matter of finding something that fits reasonably well and then taking it to a tailor to make it fit correctly. I have to get the waist taken in, upper back let out, and arms shortened. Trousers always have the waist taken in, especially when buying a full suit as the paired pants are typically only a six-inch drop from the jacket (36R >> 30W). I'm even starting to get there with my shirts, having the sides taken in or darts added to get rid of fabric billowing around the waist. In short, find a good tailor.

Men don't have the range of options that women do for formality. For us, it's basically defined by how much of a suit is worn. Business casual is also ill-defined, so a waistcoat/vest or sweater over the shirt may or may not work in his particular office. A plain blazer is probably his best bet, especially in navy as it's so classic a man can wear it multiple times a week without anyone noticing (seriously, a news anchor wore the same plain suit for a year without one viewer or co-worker commenting; he was making a point about the constant wardrobe criticism his female co-anchor received).

Further reading suggested: https://dappered.com/2017/01/how-to-...ur-first-suit/

And since you're being kind enough to help him with suiting up, have you checked his shoes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Brooks Brothers carries jackets in size 36 and they have a slim (Milano) fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    https://bonobos.com/products/unconst...lazer-fit=slim

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...can-wool/F3867

I have the Bonobos one above that Joe often crows about. I am 5’7 and 155 and it fits me well, better than Ludlow tends to. But ymmv.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I have very similar measurements (5'7", 125 lbs, 14.5/32 and 28/30). Your best bets are J Crew (36s or 34), *maybe* Banana Republic in 36s or 34 (their sizing seems to be pretty inconsistent), Bonobos (again, 36s or 34), and SuitSupply (32), although I find their dimensions weird (jacket is fine, but pants are too tight in some places, too loose in others). He may still need to get the jackets taken in for some of these brands.

Many of the brands mentioned above (Nordstrom, Brooks Brothers, etc.) fit like tents on me, so if those are his measurements, I would steer clear. Spier & Mackay was fine in the shoulders for me, had to get the jacket taken in, but the pants were super baggy. J Crew/Bonobos and possibly SuitSupply are probably your best bets IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. If you can get him past any feelings of emasculation, you might find the answer in the boys' section. I'm 5'4" but with similar measurements -other than a shorter leg - and have had several boys suits from Ralph Lauren, Hickey Freeman, Brooks Brothers etc. Things to watch for are: shoulders (obviously), sleeve length being too short, incongruously baggy trousers, and tiny pockets in the trousers (though this does prevent them being overloaded and ruining their neat look). I live in England and have found boys suits in US clearance sales that were cheaper than small mens suits on our High Street even with the addition of taxes and shipping costs. I was running the risk of pretty expensive return shipping if things didn't fit but found the sizing guides to be of reasonable use, so this may be an option for you.

I'm new here, so please accept my apologies if this isn't the done thing but here is a pretty interesting video on the topic from a guy who is (I think) about 5'8" https://youtu.be/5baILPlnDLs

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    416 Post(s)
    Suitreview.net gets in suitsupply wares at a discount; most are display items in new, never-worn, still-with-tags condition. Occasionally he gets a used item or two. He frequently gets the 36S range though, so check there. Spier and Mackay also do 36S in most of their kit.

If he's not opposed to made-to-measure, I can personally recommend the hell out of Alton Lane and Black Lapel, although both will be significantly steeper in price than the two I already mentioned. They are absolutely WORTH IT, but as this site is oriented more toward budget-friendly options, Spier and Suitreview/Suitsupply will work great. Once he gets his measurements he can also get on ebay, grailed, and other similar sites to see what's available there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamelove View Post
    I wasn't sure if the nordstrom brand is good value but I will check it as well.
    The Nordstrom’s SmartCare shirts are some of the best bang-for-your-buck shirts available, in my opinion. They can be found on sale (especially now) for about $40 on occasion.
    If you’d like to just get started with some decent shirts at a lower price point, check out Charles Tyrwhitt (I always misspell the last name). Google their 3 for $99 deal. Excellent value there too.
    Last edited by rd27; July 30th, 2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typos