Thread: Bonobos blazers? Quality lacking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Bonobos blazers? Quality lacking?

I used to be a huge Bonobos fan, knowing that anything I bought there would likely be a good value for the price, but starting a couple of years ago, it really started to get hit or miss. My main gripe was on the fit QA on the casual shirts - washed button downs and Rivera shirts being the main culprits, but I noticed it on the stretched washed chinos too. I could buy the same size in different 3 colors, and one would fit right (i.e. same as previous 32 inch waist in my case), one would seem like it was a 31 if not smaller, and one was looser than a 32 would be. I honestly just dealt with it and would return what didn't work as I wasn't familiar with other brands that would hypothetically replicate the fit/cost.

Now I did always thought they did a very nice job on the business wear. When I am visiting customers/prospects, I don't need full suits - just a blazer, button down shirt, and slacks. Bonobos has always been great at that. I have a few of their Foundation blazers, and they travel great too as they avoid wrinkles very nicely. I didn't realize the difference in those blazers vs their other offerings until yesterday. I ordered one of their Jetsetter blazers a few days ago when they had the 35% off code for a few hours. List price was $450, but it was already marked down to $380 ish, and ultimately I got it for around $240 or something. I was super excited as I thought it was a great deal on a blazer that I already owned - just diversifying my color/pattern options. At the time, I didn't realize the Jetsetter was not what I was buying previously.

It arrived yesterday, and I was incredibly disappointed. The first thing I noticed was that there was no lining at all. The fabric felt much cheaper, and it also came out very wrinkled. The wrinkles would be an issue as I would not have access to a steamer at the various hotels I stay at. All this added up to me returning it today, but also doing some searching yesterday to see what I had bought in the past. That's what led me back to the Foundation blazers. Once I realized that, I decided to just buy those. Did some searching, and it looks like they might be discontinuing them as there are a few off sizes left in the final sale area. Nothing new. They are all Jetsetters, unconstructed things, etc.

If they are truly discontinuing it, it does make you wonder why. At list price, that Jetsetter was the same price as my Foundation blazers, but at an incredibly lower quality level. I hope that isn't what is going on... If they don't bring out a new Foundation blazer, I don't think I can purchase a blazer them again. I was so unhappy with the Jetsetter and even at the $240 price, it wasn't close to worth it. Hopefully this isn't Walmart exerting more control of their cost and destroying some of quality items that made Bonobos great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Agreed that Bonobos isn't worth it. Too many other options and sales.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I noticed in the description of the Jetsetter Blazers that they are all different in terms of lining and materials. Some are fully lined, some half and some unlined. Also the fabrics vary a lot from one color to another. I guess it's a matter of reading the fine details because all Jetsetter Blazers are not the same.

I bought one of their Unconstructed Italian Blazers during the recent 30% off sale (I already had a couple of others I had bought before). I was very happy with the purchase. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    I actually like the lack of lining in the Jetsetter. It helps the jacket breathe better, and the cloth is a nice flannel from Angelico. I have one of those, one of their unlined VBC wolls, and their Foundation jackets. I really like all three.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Donít have anything really to say on quality generally except that Iím happy with the very cheap short sleeve shirt I got on sale ($18) at the start of the summer.

But, it is worth noting that a jacket without lining is often more expensive to make because you need to clean up the inside of the jacket in a way you donít if youíve got a lining to just cover all the extra flaps and loose threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk