Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have been wearing the wrong shoe size for a very long time. Feedback please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I have been wearing the wrong shoe size for a very long time. Feedback please

Today I went to buy my first pair of loafers. I went to Allen Edmonds and used a Brannock device. It said I am size 8.5 to 9 D. And it was correct because all the different loafers I tried 8.5 D fit the best.

My whole life I have worn an 11 in sneakers and 10 in dress shoes and have always been comfortable.

Im surprised and confused how this could be going on for so long. My guess is that the difference between 8.5 and 10 is like 1/2 inch and with laced up shoes I couldnt tell they were too big.

Feedback please. I ordered a pair of wholecuts from Beckett Simonon at size 10 a couple of weeks ago and now I need to know what to do about the size before they send them to me.
    Last edited by ChrisCashhh; July 21st, 2019 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    You can try contacting BS and asking about how their shoes compare to Brannock sizing (I have no personal experience with them). But that's still a large and surprising difference between what you have been wearing and what you tried on at AE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    That's a pretty big difference, but I do wear 1/2 size smaller AE than all other brands.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the passenger View Post
    You can try contacting BS and asking about how their shoes compare to Brannock sizing (I have no personal experience with them). But that's still a large and surprising difference between what you have been wearing and what you tried on at AE.
    BS is true to brannock size. If you're an 8.5D in AE, order an 8.5 from BS. I own multiple pairs of both.

As far as sneakers go, some fit really small. I'm a brannock 10D, and often need an 11 or 11.5 in athletic shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    BS is true to brannock size. If you're an 8.5D in AE, order an 8.5 from BS. I own multiple pairs of both.

As far as sneakers go, some fit really small. I'm a brannock 10D, and often need an 11 or 11.5 in athletic shoes.
    Thank you everyone. I think I might change my BS order to a 9. Because I looked again and Brannock I am a 9. The arch length was a 9 too. I tried on a bunch of different shoes and sneakers at Kohls and shoes 8.5 and 9 felt good. Sneaker a was too small and 9.5 fit good

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    I've been surprised at the difference in how the "same size" shoes fit so differently--all the way from being painfully tight to being so loose they're almost falling off.

With lace up shoes, being a bit larger has never been a problem for me. And sometimes an insole can make up the difference.

But with loafers? Forget it--if they are too big, they are slipping off all the time. And insoles don't seem to work quite as well.

If you've been comfortable with size 10, why worry about it?
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I've been surprised at the difference in how the "same size" shoes fit so differently--all the way from being painfully tight to being so loose they're almost falling off.

With lace up shoes, being a bit larger has never been a problem for me. And sometimes an insole can make up the difference.

But with loafers? Forget it--if they are too big, they are slipping off all the time. And insoles don't seem to work quite as well.

If you've been comfortable with size 10, why worry about it?
    I think you are correct lace up shoes will compensate for a shoe that is too large but a loafer it has to be the right fit even a little small so it fits snug and doesnt slip.

As far as wearing the wrong size in the future, now that I know my correct size I think it is best to get shoes in my actual size to ensure proper fit, performance and comfort. 10 isnt uncomfortable on me but the laces are making up for a shoe that is really too big.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I just ordered my first pair of shoes from BS. From their customer service team, I learned that they typically produce a few more pairs than are ordered to accommodate size differences like this. You might want to reach out to them via email and explain your situation. I found that their team was quite helpful and very responsive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I did reach out to BS their customer service seems excellent so far. I changed my order to a size 9. 8.5 probably would fit is my guess but it could also be slightly tight. I figure if I have worn a 10 my whole life with no discomfort Id rather go to a 9 than 8.5

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    This happened a couple of years ago to me.

Carlitos: No need to measure me; I know that I wear 10 1/2 D.
    Shoe store guy: So...when was that 10 1/2 measured for you that you’re so sure of the size?
    Carlitos: Junior High, seventh grade.
    Shoe store guy: And everything else is the same size as when you were in Junior High?
    Carlitos .........

I bought New Balance 11.5 that day and they fit great.