Thread: Allen Edmonds 65 last

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Allen Edmonds 65 last

So after acquiring quite a few pair of AE shoes built on the 65 last, after a number of wears ive realized im a different size. I went with my brannock measurement (10.5D) but theyre simply too long and narrow. I had a pair of Strands in a 10 EE in my possession briefly and was surprised at how nice those fit me. I stupidly sold them. So i figure im a 10 E on this last at the least. Does anyone here drop a length and go up TWO widths on this last?
    By the way if anyones a 10.5D i will be listing a few pair for sale

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsy View Post
    So after acquiring quite a few pair of AE shoes built on the 65 last, after a number of wears ive realized im a different size. I went with my brannock measurement (10.5D) but theyre simply too long and narrow. I had a pair of Strands in a 10 EE in my possession briefly and was surprised at how nice those fit me. I stupidly sold them. So i figure im a 10 E on this last at the least. Does anyone here drop a length and go up TWO widths on this last?
    By the way if anyones a 10.5D i will be listing a few pair for sale
    I can relate to this. I have a pretty average foot and never have to go up a width except with the 65 last. E does the trick for me but I'll bet EE would work too. I don't think going to EE would result in a super wide shoe. It would just be correcting the inherent narrowness of the 65. Like maybe it would equal an E in a more typical last. I will say that I've never had a problem with the 65's length.

The 65 last being narrow seems to be a pretty common issue. The interwebs is full of shoe selfies of 65 wearers with their lace beds stretched open into a V shape. Allen Edmonds' new 64 last, which is a 65 modified with a little more width in the ball (and also slightly elongated), seems to be an attempt to address it.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/discove...101/lasts.html

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)
    I think that's what most people do to get the right fit with 65 last, down a size and up one to two widths, sometimes even 3E, from what I remember reading on Reddit, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    What sucks is its difficult to find a 2E. Kickin myself for letting go of those strands lol. I have an E on the way to try tho maybe thatll work

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    I don't think the advice to size up is universal. I measure 11-11.5 B consistently. I have Strands in 11B that felt too tight before I had them stretched. I also have Leeds 2.0 and Carlye's that are both 11.5B, they fit great. All of my future 65 last shoes will be 11.5B. If I tried a C width, I'd be popping my heel out every step.

All that is to say: If dropping one length and going up 2 widths felt good? Go with that. I'll also add, and people seem to gloss over this: Sole material matters when it comes to fit. Leather soles seem to form to the foot better, and allow for a tighter fit initially that loosens up over time. I think this was the problem I ran into with my Dainite Strands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I guess thats why i let go of those 2E strands so quick. I assumed they would stretch over time and my heel isnt wide. Ive got an E width coming to try. My mcallisters and mcgregors feel fine widthwise but seem slightly long. I may hang on to those but my strands and strandmoks are just unwearable in a D width

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    If they fit well in the heel (in my experience, the hardest place to get a good fit) try having a store stretch them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Got some 10 E to try. Questionable fit. A little less toe pinch but heel lifts just a bit. For whatever reason i dont recall the 2E having this issue but oh well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    FWIW, here's an article about a guy who measured between D and E on the Brannock but found EE was the best fit. Shoes were AE Strands.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...g-shoes-2016-3