Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicer athletic shorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Nicer athletic shorts

I feel like there was recently a thread on this recently, but I went 12 pages back and couldnt find it, so maybe I imagined it. Anyway... Im looking for a little nicer athletic shirts to replace my Nike ones. Kind of veering towards that atheleisure thing. Im not really sure what brands I should be looking at as all I really know is that some people like Lululemon a lot.

They do seem to have a decent option in their Pace Breaker shorts. At $68, they arent much more than Nike shorts really. Im interested in opinions on other brands, but does anyone have the Pace Breakers? They have two options- one with a liner - https://shop.lululemon.com/p/gift-id...050?color=0001 and one without - https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-sho...030?color=0001. Somewhat weirdly they are the same price. I dont have any shorts with liners, so not quite sure about those, but maybe could be a decent option. Thoughts?

Whatever shorts I buy will be for the light, in public physical activity like coaching my sons soccer team (basically when Im around other people, and dont want to look like a slob). I workout at home and just wear my cheap Target C9 brand shorts for that. Just pointing that to help illustrate what Im going for and why.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    I think I have the pace breakers. I've got like, 3 different lemon shorts. Two came with liners but I've cut them out and like them much better without it.

I also have a pair of C9 shorts from Target that are very similar to the nicer athleisure shorts Lululemon sells.. I'm actually wearing the C9 ones now. Subtle herringbone pattern, Two side pockets, two butt pockets with Velcro'd flaps and a semi concealed zippered pocket above one of the rear pockets.

I think I paid $10 or something for them at Target while on clearance. I wear them quite frequently around the house and while walking the dogs and they have held up great. Cut and fit are perfect. Should check out your local Target or online.

Just realized you mentioned Target's C9. They do carry nicer ones that look better than typical gym shorts like I mentioned.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    i'm also interested, shopped around on prime day but nothing really struck me. i'm also stuck with my cheap target c9's but want to upgrade for the gym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    I think I have the pace breakers. I've got like, 3 different lemon shorts. Two came with liners but I've cut them out and like them much better without it.

I also have a pair of C9 shorts from Target that are very similar to the nicer athleisure shorts Lululemon sells.. I'm actually wearing the C9 ones now. Subtle herringbone pattern, Two side pockets, two butt pockets with Velcro'd flaps and a semi concealed zippered pocket above one of the rear pockets.

I think I paid $10 or something for them at Target while on clearance. I wear them quite frequently around the house and while walking the dogs and they have held up great. Cut and fit are perfect. Should check out your local Target or online.

Just realized you mentioned Target's C9. They do carry nicer ones that look better than typical gym shorts like I mentioned.
    For the money, the C9’s are great shorts. I prefer them to my more expensive Nike ones. I’m just looking for something a little nicer that is a bit more “presentable”.

What was it about the liner that you didn’t like? I could probably just try them at my local store but would rather lazily order them online.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesape View Post
    For the money, the C9’s are great shorts. I prefer them to my more expensive Nike ones. I’m just looking for something a little nicer that is a bit more “presentable”.

What was it about the liner that you didn’t like? I could probably just try them at my local store but would rather lazily order them online.
    With liners, it's not that comfortable wearing underwear, so you you gotta wash the shorts after each free balling wear instead of when they get dirty or smelly. Plus I love my David Archy separate pouches underwear and can never not wear them anymore so all liners had to go. Other than that, the liners were comfortable enough, but thicker than I'd like for summer use. One of them was a compression style full short length liner with gu holder pockets built into the lining. Too warm for warm weather, not warm enough for cold weather... Really only good for a month or so.

Now, without the lining, it's good all summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    With liners, it's not that comfortable wearing underwear, so you you gotta wash the shorts after each free balling wear instead of when they get dirty or smelly. Plus I love my David Archy separate pouches underwear and can never not wear them anymore so all liners had to go. Other than that, the liners were comfortable enough, but thicker than I'd like for summer use. One of them was a compression style full short length liner with gu holder pockets built into the lining. Too warm for warm weather, not warm enough for cold weather... Really only good for a month or so.

Now, without the lining, it's good all summer.
    That’s exactly what I was wondering. The Pace Breakers have the compression style lining are talking about. I couldn’t imagine freeballing even with the liner and was thinking they would be very hot with the liner.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesape View Post
    That’s exactly what I was wondering. The Pace Breakers have the compression style lining are talking about. I couldn’t imagine freeballing even with the liner and was thinking they would be very hot with the liner.
    Cutting them out is fairly easy and straight forward and doesn't hurt the rest of the short at all.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Be very careful though, I’ve ruined a couple pairs of (luckily cheapo Target brand) swim trunks by accidentally cutting the actual shorts while trying to cut out the liner.
    Ben

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Be very careful though, I’ve ruined a couple pairs of (luckily cheapo Target brand) swim trunks by accidentally cutting the actual shorts while trying to cut out the liner.
    Indeed, do be careful. Best is to cut the lining just up to the serged seam, but leave the seam intact. That leaves you about 1/4" of fabric/seam before you hit the actual short. The serging will keep The fabric from fraying, depending on how the fabric is made. (That is for Lululemon shorts that I've cut, not sure about other shorts.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    I have a few pairs of the Pace Breaker shorts with and without the liners. They're okay but not my favorite. The material is pretty thin. It's almost flimsy feeling. If you're going to be spending that much on gym shorts I prefer Myles Momentum shorts, available with and without liners. I feel like the construction, materials and fit are all better on the Myles shorts. They're the one's I find myself reaching for most frequently. https://mylesapparel.com/collections/shorts

It sounds like without the liner is the best option for what you'll be using them for. I prefer the liners myself. Its just one less layer I have to worry about. I have never found them to be too hot or cold on either the Lulu or the Myles shorts. If you do decide to go that route, I like the liners on the Myles shorts far more than Lululemon shorts. The Lululemon always ride up on me a little but the Myles liners stay in place.

Also, if you're not going to be doing any strenuous activity, have you considered the J.Crew Dock Shorts? The stretch chino dock shorts are my lounge/I may have to go in public and don't want to look like a slob shorts. They're comfortable and look more polished then gym shorts. Looks like they also make them in a tech material now.