Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off the rack chinos for larger legs

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)

Off the rack chinos for larger legs

Im looking to add some chinos to my ward robe. The JCrew Factory ones I had previously are just too tight in the thighs and seat.

Ive got a couple business casual meetings coming up where most will be wearing jeans. I dont want to do that so was hoping to find some chinos off the rack due to timing. Any brands you all recommend I explore?

For some comparables I wear Levis 541 and S&M contemporary that fit pretty well before tailoring.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1053 Post(s)
    I bought a pair of Amazon brand GoodThreads straight-fit comfort wash chinos and really like them. I tried the athletic fit but those cling to my calves too much. There are a ton of colors and are <$30 per pair.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I’m a big fan of Polo Ralph Lauren classic fit chinos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Banana Republic is pretty decent for OTR. They have their "Rapid Movement" chinos in an Athletic fit. They tend to be "stretchy" so that may or may not be your thing.
    https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...p-page-content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ban Repub, Dockers, Land's End

I have struggled with the larger thigh issues for years. For context I am 6'2, 240, with a penchant for consuming alcohol, so my waist is larger than it should be ('sup ladies?). I also have bigger calves, so its a pain. I will make a couple of recommendations, but the fit, style, and material choices are really up to you.

- if you have a Banana Republic store nearby they have a lot of choices that could fit your style. I would stay away from the slim fit models, but others used to work for me.
    - This is the easy current go-to model for me. The material is...cheapish but they are very comfortable, which helps in the warm weather.
    -Before the recent uptake in weight these were also a go-to. Again the material is a little...cheap seeming, but they are again very comfortable and I think worth the money, and I am especially fond of the grey ones which are very soft.
    -A great entry for a little pricer, wider-legged (but not too wide), nice material model are these from Lands End. Note: if you are taller get the long rise - your sac will thank you.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlielo View Post
    Banana Republic is pretty decent for OTR. They have their "Rapid Movement" chinos in an Athletic fit. They tend to be "stretchy" so that may or may not be your thing.
    https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...p-page-content
    Thanks. I dont mind stretch and will check those out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Im looking to add some chinos to my ward robe. The JCrew Factory ones I had previously are just too tight in the thighs and seat.

Ive got a couple business casual meetings coming up where most will be wearing jeans. I dont want to do that so was hoping to find some chinos off the rack due to timing. Any brands you all recommend I explore?

For some comparables I wear Levis 541 and S&M contemporary that fit pretty well before tailoring.
    Have you tried our chino? They are designed to fit the same body type as the trousers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Depends on what you want for fit. Seems like youll have an easier time than me. I like a slimmer look but not tight. I have to size up in 541s and tailor the waist/seat. I also have contemporary for from S&M and the thighs and seat are tight while the waist is ok.

My go to has been going up a size or two in a slim fit and getting the waist tailored. Good luck!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Bonobos Stretch Washed Chinos in straight or athletic fit. I have big legs from cycling, snowboarding and a lifetime of walking on my toes. Bonobos straight fit is one of the few chinos that work for me.
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Epaulet:
    "The Wilhelm is designed to be the absolute best-fitting chino for men with larger thighs."

https://www.epauletbrand.com/collect...ean-collection