Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicer athletic shorts

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    My favorite are Hylete and Rhone.
    Want to check out Myles, Oliver's, huckberry proof, barbell apparel (have and like the jeans)

Also like the tech shorts from J. Crew (on front page). Wore them the other day when I knew I'd be going from bouldering to joining a group of friends at a parade.
    Last edited by 77Pat; July 17th, 2019 at 08:43 AM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)
    I wear my J Crew Tech shorts everywhere. I go to the neighborhood gym for my workout, then jump in the pool or check out a kayak. I did 10 miles on the AT wearing them a few weeks ago. I took 2 pair down to Tampa for my daughters college graduation weekend. These things are awesome and I rarely wear any other shorts now. I have 5 pair (three 9" and two 7") and have 3 more pair on the way. Now, I am sure other tech shorts work as well but I just keep finding the J Crew deals so I have stuck with them. I wouldn't mind more color selection or a pair with pocket closures and/or deeper pockets for those outdoor activities but I try not to have anything in my pockets most of the time so it isnt a huge deal.

If you are like me and @77Pat and find yourself jumping from activity to activity, these are great. And I swear, they are the ultimate road trip short. Stretchy and wipe clean. I spilled coffee on my light khaki pair while driving and just wiped it up with a napkin.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Was at H&M yesterday, and they have a quite a few choices for athletic shorts. Also, with H&M clothes running on the smaller side, the shorts have a nice slim fit to them. Going back to pick some up this weekend. Was in a hurry, so I couldn't try on all the different options.
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us. ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    For actual working out my favorites are Hylete and Fourlaps/4laps.
    Ben

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Any best recs for running, hiking, and walking? I registered for a 5k in August and would appreciate any suggestions. ty!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1067 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Any best recs for running, hiking, and walking? I registered for a 5k in August and would appreciate any suggestions. ty!
    The Champion C9 shorts are cheap and last maybe 1 year before the crotch seam rips. I would equate this to maybe 600-700 miles worth of running. My LuluLemon shorts have lasted quite a bit longer. I wear bother the 5" and 7" Surge shorts. I don't think they make either length anymore but I would opt for the 6". I have more than 1000 miles on a pair and they show no signs of ripping. I also wear them in rotation with everyday activities so there are likely quite a few more miles than 1000 on them.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    The Champion C9 shorts are cheap and last maybe 1 year before the crotch seam rips. I would equate this to maybe 600-700 miles worth of running. My LuluLemon shorts have lasted quite a bit longer. I wear bother the 5" and 7" Surge shorts. I don't think they make either length anymore but I would opt for the 6". I have more than 1000 miles on a pair and they show no signs of ripping. I also wear them in rotation with everyday activities so there are likely quite a few more miles than 1000 on them.
    Thanks! Those Champions sound exactly like what I am looking for and price wise as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    I saw Olivers mentioned above -- I splurged for a few pairs a while back, both with and without the liner. They are great for lounging but I would not recommend for strenuous activity or running. The inner leg and crotch area wore out/pilled pretty quick from running especially.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Another recommendation for Lululemon here! Have a handful of the linerless THE short, its the most comfortable and best looking shorts I've found on me. I'm not sure about their current warranty but I bought mine when they were still offering free repairs or replacements on failed garments. My other shorts I usually get from discount places like TJ maxx, Sierra trading post, or similar stores. They have a ton of stock from the big sporting brands but a small selection of higher end stuff in less popular colors and sizes from companies like Rhone. And I haven't bought any but Gaiam, a yoga company, kinda copycat's some Lululemon styles and I've found them at TJM and STP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I have Adidas Climacool shorts. I like wearing them during hot days.