Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon workers protest and the latest Dappered post

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    There was a story, and I don't know if it is true, but at one point Subway and Taco Bell would locate near McDonald's. The reason was, Subway and TB knew McD's spent money searching out locations so why not just locate near them? Makes sense and you do not spend the $$$ finding the best location.
    Lowes does this with Home Depot. They also strategically select their inventory to have higher stock int he items Home Depot chooses not to focus on. They are accepting a complimentary role almost. It saves them a lot of money in market research so the lower sales yield a higher profit due to less upfront expense to spin up a store.

I am not boycotting Amazon. The workers will sort it out. In the US they can simply chose to work somewhere else and force Amazon to offer a better environment to maintain their staff. If the pay is too good for them to actually leave, then is it as bad as they say? I know very little about the amazon environment so I have no idea. I can relate it to the fast food workers though. They were asking for higher minimum wages. Fast food has responded by replacing a portion of their workforce with self serve kiosks, app ordering, and doordash/uber eats services. In that case, I believe the workers overestimated their value so it may or may not be a parallel. Just an example of how unions and markets often correct them selves.

Boycotting actually could be seen as taking some stress off of Amazon actually. If they have tons of orders to fulfill they would be more likely to meet the demands of the workers that are striking.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I don’t understand why some feel their personal opinions need to be adopted by all. Some may have issues with Amazon’s practices then don’t support them. Some don’t and are ok with how they operate. That comes down to a personal set of ethics and morals.

I also try to not spend as much on them and Walmart but that’s my personal belief. If I don’t like the blog article I just don’t click it. If he doesn’t get enough clicks I’d assume he’d know to adjust.
    I agree with this. I also see nothing wrong with information sharing. I didnt even know about the strike until someone did a Facebook post.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I agree with this. I also see nothing wrong with information sharing. I didnt even know about the strike until someone did a Facebook post.
    Wait what? You're still on Facebook? I boycotted them long ago because of their abuse of personal information, not to mention how they treat their workers too

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wait what? You're still on Facebook? I boycotted them long ago because of their abuse of personal information, not to mention how they treat their workers too
    I was all set to disable my account until my dad signed up and said "I really like seeing all of the pictures". I am pretty much just in 1,000 Jeep, camping, or hiking groups and have 3 friends lol. None of my personal information is real so they can share that I am a 73 year old female member of the Cherokee nation with anyone they choose.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    I was just messing with you @idvsego. Everyone knows that Facebook is really controlled by a combination of Netflix, GM, Bank of America, and Dolche and Gabana. The plan is to mine as much user data as possible to create movie (to be streamed on Netflix) where good looking and smelling people (smells by Dolche and Gabana) drive around (in a GM car) robbing banks (specifically Bank of America). I've read it is to be an update on the traditional Bonnie and Clyde movie.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I was just messing with you @idvsego. Everyone knows that Facebook is really controlled by a combination of Netflix, GM, Bank of America, and Dolche and Gabana. The plan is to mine as much user data as possible to create movie (to be streamed on Netflix) where good looking and smelling people (smells by Dolche and Gabana) drive around (in a GM car) robbing banks (specifically Bank of America). I've read it is to be an update on the traditional Bonnie and Clyde movie.
    lol, nice.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)
    The amazon employees protesting working conditions know they don't *HAVE* to work there right?

Wait is that not correct? Is someone forcing people to work there? If so, we definitely need congressional oversight. If ANYONE can get a problem solved, it's congress!!

(this work of satire brought to you by the letters "common" and "sense")

Seriously, this whole mentality of deciding to do something that may not be the greatest opportunity on the planet, then whining and complaining that it is in fact not the greatest opportunity on the planet, instead of FINDING A DIFFERENT OPPORTUNITY, is gettin really old.

Glad I'm retiring by 45.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    The amazon employees protesting working conditions know they don't *HAVE* to work there right?

Wait is that not correct? Is someone forcing people to work there? If so, we definitely need congressional oversight. If ANYONE can get a problem solved, it's congress!!

(this work of satire brought to you by the letters "common" and "sense")

Seriously, this whole mentality of deciding to do something that may not be the greatest opportunity on the planet, then whining and complaining that it is in fact not the greatest opportunity on the planet, instead of FINDING A DIFFERENT OPPORTUNITY, is gettin really old.

Glad I'm retiring by 45.
    Exactly. I mean, there are limitations obviously but 10 hour days with limited breaks? Welcome to a nurse or teachers job. @armedferret we wont even get into what you have had to or currently do deal with. Don't like the job? Get another one. Don't like your options? Improve your marketability by learning a trade. No jobs near you? Consider moving. Can't move and cant find a better job? Well maybe yours isnt as bad as you think it is then. And for the record, I have done all of these things at multiple times in my life. If Amazon can't find employees then they will have to improve conditions. Instead of asking me to speak with my actions to help your situation, maybe you should speak with your own actions to improve your situation. Actually, I applaud the strike. If its that bad, that's putting your money where your mouth is. If there is a flood of people to fill your spots, well then maybe the conditions aren't that bad. Another thing people overlook is not every job is supposed to be a career. But anyway. I hope things get sorted enough for all parties at least.

Retiring at 45...man. You earned it but that sounds dang nice.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Retiring at 45...man. You earned it but that sounds dang nice.

Imma start a youtube clickbait channel and buy cheap lamborghinis.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Imma start a youtube clickbait channel and buy cheap lamborghinis.
    I would subscribe