Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on AllSaints "Hawaiian" shirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Opinion on AllSaints "Hawaiian" shirts

This is a branch off from a previous thread, but thought it be easier to start a new one...

I'm looking at a couple of AllSaints 'hawaiian' shirts and would like opinions on them. They are expensive at $130 per, so if I bought one, I'd only by that one. I'm looking at two shirts but am struggling with them. They are available at Nordstrom, but my local Nordstrom doesn't carry them, so I can't see them in person.
    Option 1 - https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allsain...lor=ink%20navy
    Option 2 - https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allsain...rts&color=pink

Variables about myself to help in opinions - 37 year old dad. Good shape, but again 37 year old dad, meaning I don't get a ton of opportunities to 'go out on the town' with my wife and friends. I also would not be wearing them unbuttoned like the Nordstrom models are.

In theory option 2 might be the safer one in that it is more straightforward and uniform. But it is also out and out a hawaiian shirt. I kind of like the idea of option 1, but is it too loud for a middle aged dad to not look weird in? Is it also too 'one-time' use in that it is so specific that it limits the number of wears you get because if you are seeing the same people they will easily notice that you are wearing the exact same shirt.

Or heck, maybe neither would work for me. What's the opinion?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)
    Wow ... Those are expensive! Any particular reason you want to go with the All Saints route vs similar prints from like, Old Navy, J Crew, or bonobos, etc (lots of companies making short sleeve prints these days)?

Are you looking specifically for the Hawaiian shirt cut/collar or are Hawaiian print/floral short sleeve button downs ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Wow ... Those are expensive! Any particular reason you want to go with the All Saints route vs similar prints from like, Old Navy, J Crew, or bonobos, etc (lots of companies making short sleeve prints these days)?

Are you looking specifically for the Hawaiian shirt cut/collar or are Hawaiian print/floral short sleeve button downs ok?
    In theory, I'd like something with a bit more quality than Old Navy. I haven't looked at J Crew in a long time. I have a lot of the Bonobos Riveria shirts, but they are quite a bit different than these Hawaiian shirts. The AllSaints shirts are viscose which gives you a silk like feel and draping. I like the fun prints, but I like that draping more even more. The Bonobos shirts are cotton and are 'stiff'. Good shirts, just different than these or similar. I saw that Topman has some viscose shirts as well, but I don't like the prints as much. The AllSaints ones say they are slim fit too. That would be nice because a lot of these shirts tend to be bit more boxy in their cut. Ex - Bonobos has one too, but the fit is horrible - made to be boxy.

I agree on the cost though. That's why I would like some more opinions before I actually (possibly) buy one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Check out Reyn Spooner https://www.reynspooner.com/collections/on-sale
    Their tailored fit is pretty good and it's a well made shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Why don't you start with something cheaper if you're unsure about the look? This way you can test it out and you're not stuck with a $130 shirt you'll never wear if you decide it's not for you. I feel like Topman or H&M would be a good place for a shirt like that. If you like it then invest in something better.

Put This On had a recent article about Rayon camp shirts you may find interesting. The patterns they highlight are more subdued and probably easier to integrate into your existing wardrobe.

https://putthison.com/rayon-summers-magical-fabric/

In regards to Allsaints, I think most of their stuff is way over priced. It's more trendy and quality varies. That's not to say it's terrible quality. Just maybe not $130 for a Hawaiian shirt level quality.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)
    Old Navy/J Crew Factory/Target are my go-to for trying a new look. Not much ventured and a lot to be gained. I have had pieces from those palces last way longer than I expected, especially for a shirt liek this that you wont be wearing once a week. But if you want all saints, there is one on the anniversary sale for $85

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allsain...rts&color=blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Why don't you start with something cheaper if you're unsure about the look? This way you can test it out and you're not stuck with a $130 shirt you'll never wear if you decide it's not for you. I feel like Topman or H&M would be a good place for a shirt like that. If you like it then invest in something better.

Put This On had a recent article about Rayon camp shirts you may find interesting. The patterns they highlight are more subdued and probably easier to integrate into your existing wardrobe.

https://putthison.com/rayon-summers-magical-fabric/

In regards to Allsaints, I think most of their stuff is way over priced. It's more trendy and quality varies. That's not to say it's terrible quality. Just maybe not $130 for a Hawaiian shirt level quality.
    I actually did start a bit cheaper - at least after I found a promo code. I have two of these types of shirts from Faherty (based on a suggestion from someone on this site) that I like a lot. I got each for $80 (after promo code). Here's one of them - https://fahertybrand.com/collections...rt-aloha-bliss

My like for these shirts has caused me to find more of a similar nature. The only downside of the Faherty ones is that I might be prefer a bit slimmer/more tailored cut through the body. That's partly what lead me to those AllSaints ones as they list a slim fit. I like the designs and colors of the two shirts that I linked too. I feel like a lot of the brands go a bit too far in the designs or all out hawaiian-ness.

That's a good article too. Their reasons for rayon are exactly why I like my Faherty shirts. It's also great that they linked a few more brands. I know there are likely a lot of decent brands out there, but it can definitely be hard to dig through various sites.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    Not to derail the thread, but I'd greatly appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for rayon, camp collar shirts that are of simple wide stripe pattern. I've looked around quite a bit but to not much avail. Essentially the same type of shirt as OP but I personally can't pull off a hawaiian design/pattern. Wish I could tho...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but I'd greatly appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for rayon, camp collar shirts that are of simple wide stripe pattern. I've looked around quite a bit but to not much avail. Essentially the same type of shirt as OP but I personally can't pull off a hawaiian design/pattern. Wish I could tho...
    https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop...ton-down-shirt

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    @Loafer28 thanks for the link! just what i was looking for. i keep overlooking uo for some reason