Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you buy your dress shoes new or do you look for used first?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    I have two pairs out of about 25 that I've purchased "used". One pair wasn't really used--they were new old stock vintage made in USA Bostonian--$30. Very happy with those. Another pair of very gently used Allen Emonds Daytona for only $13.99. I'm very happy with those as well. I would like to get some more vintage shoes, but I don't have a ton of time to shop for them.

But with AE shoes going on sale so often for in the $175 to $275 range, I don't see the point in buying them used. If I paid $50 and then spent $125 for re-crafting--well, I didn't save much, did I?

Indeed, I purchased the Whitney PTB on sale for my son for $101.60 in June. Why would anyone buy used?
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I have two pairs out of about 25 that I've purchased "used". One pair wasn't really used--they were new old stock vintage made in USA Bostonian--$30. Very happy with those. Another pair of very gently used Allen Emonds Daytona for only $13.99. I'm very happy with those as well. I would like to get some more vintage shoes, but I don't have a ton of time to shop for them.

But with AE shoes going on sale so often for in the $175 to $275 range, I don't see the point in buying them used. If I paid $50 and then spent $125 for re-crafting--well, I didn't save much, did I?

Indeed, I purchased the Whitney PTB on sale for my son for $101.60 in June. Why would anyone buy used?
    Well, here's a pair of barely worn Whitneys on eBay for $41 shipped. For some people saving $60 might be compelling.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...p2047675.l2557

When I was in my trial and error phase I bought three pairs of Park Avenues in barely worn condition for less than $100 each. How often can you buy new Parks for anything close to that? I wound up reselling two pairs (decided I liked the sleeker Exchange Place better) for about what I paid for them, and kept one pair.