Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black socks or colourful/happy socks with suit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Black socks or colourful/happy socks with suit?

Fashion advice from professionals please?

Do you wear black socks with your suit to work or colourful socks with your suit to work?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    I usually wear a darker shade than the trousers with a suit. For example, darker blue socks with a blue suit and darker grey socks with a charcoal suit.

I don't think I own a pair of black socks.

I have colorful socks, but I find myself wearing them with more casual outfits.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Generally matching the trouser, especially if in a more formal situation. I'll wear more colourful socks but only in a classic pattern -- Argyle -- where the colors are in large blocks and at least one matches the suit or is in the same family (e.g. navy blue suit with grey-dark blue-medium blue socks). Only time I wore black socks was with a charcoal grey suit and black shoes to a funeral and I didn't have socks that were a dark enough grey.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    The only black socks I own are athletic socks and one pair of dress socks to wear with my tux.

Otherwise I have an assortment of dark, neutral sock colors that go with my business suits/trousers - grey, blue, brown, olive green. I usually wear a sock color that, if not actually matching to my trousers, is in the same family as the trousers I have on (e.g. brown with khaki chinos) or a complementary color (e.g. olive green with khaki chinos). I am not a particularly big fan of the loud or fun sock look.
    Ben

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    For years, I only wore black socks with my suits. I purchased about 20 identical pairs at a time. That made it real easy to always match them.

More recently, I started to wear socks that more closely matched my suits. But I only wear brightly or more whimsical colors with causal clothing. I've never much of a fan of bright socks with formal clothing.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    About the same color and shade as the pants, except when it's a laundry day then it's burgundy. Nothing against daring socks and I do have the freedom to wear such, but I've decided to keep it mellow.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    90% of the time fun socks that bring in a color of the trousers and or shirt.

Bush Sr wore colorful fun socks in probably the most formal job on the planet so if he can Iím going to allow myself that fun. my socks are usually not visible unless sitting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/549749002

Today Iím wearing red white and blue happy socks that mimic the flag.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    It also depends upon context. Whimsical socks with suits have been a trend in New York (even in Finance) for a while now. However, it requires finesse and should not be approached lightly. If you're just starting out, I'd err on the conservative side and match your sock to your trousers. You can then progress to striped socks with one of the colors matching your trousers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Bush Sr wore colorful fun socks in probably the most formal job on the planet so if he can Iím going to allow myself that fun. my socks are usually not visible unless sitting.
    Bush Senior only got one term, maybe the socks were to blame....(/s)

That said, presidents and CEOs don't have the same rules as the rest of us, especially when they're senior citizens (Bush was 64 when sworn in). And politicians are in an industry where a certain level of performative individuality is rewarded.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Bush Senior only got one term, maybe the socks were to blame....(/s)

That said, presidents and CEOs don't have the same rules as the rest of us, especially when they're senior citizens (Bush was 64 when sworn in). And politicians are in an industry where a certain level of performative individuality is rewarded.
    Haha true but weíre talking socks. Obviously take the context of your audience into consideration but most people donít even know I have happy socks on most days.

Iíve got a pretty big team. I interview people and work in a government setting thatís formal. I can count on my hand the number of times in my career Iíve really noticed someoneís sock choice.