Thread: Let's talk about furniture and household goods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Let's talk about furniture and household goods

It seems to me that a well dressed individual should also have an attractive home/apartment, etc. too.

What are some of your favorite items around the house? Maybe a favorite chair or rug? Where did you find it? Anything that you could recommend to someone getting settled into a new place that you wish you would have done sooner?

One of my favorite things that I invested in for my household was a set of quality Supima bed sheets. They have a luxury hotel feeling, which makes it easy for me to stay comfortable when trying to go to sleep.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I love my Lay-Z-Boy recliner. It was my late father's chair, and we've kept it in mint condition for 20 years. It was the Cadillac of recliners back then, and it still looks great in any room setting. I also have a few mid-century light fixture that I really dig. A couple of other small items, like my turntable, the the accompanying speakers, and a lamp that I love almost as much as my Lazy-Y-Boy
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us. ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by APinNC View Post
    I love my Lay-Z-Boy recliner. It was my late father's chair, and we've kept it in mint condition for 20 years. It was the Cadillac of recliners back then, and it still looks great in any room setting. I also have a few mid-century light fixture that I really dig. A couple of other small items, like my turntable, the the accompanying speakers, and a lamp that I love almost as much as my Lazy-Y-Boy
    I too, have a turntable setup in my living room, on a pipe bookshelf that I built a few years ago. Really is the center of attention when I have company. Also agree that good lighting can really make a difference in how a room feels.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    I changed some of my electrical outlets to the type that have USB charging ports built in. A very small change that makes life easier. We entertain a lot--our leather sofa is easier to clean than a fabric sofa.

And for people like my wife, who is a shameless hoarder--closet organizers are a must.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I changed some of my electrical outlets to the type that have USB charging ports built in. A very small change that makes life easier. We entertain a lot--our leather sofa is easier to clean than a fabric sofa.

And for people like my wife, who is a shameless hoarder--closet organizers are a must.
    I didn't realize USB outlets like that existed! Amazing!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd27 View Post
    I didn't realize USB outlets like that existed! Amazing!
    I put these in about two years ago and despite the mixed reviews, our have worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    A well-stocked workbench to fix all the stuff that inevitably needs it when you are a homeowner... and a wine room
    Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minty007 View Post
    A well-stocked workbench to fix all the stuff that inevitably needs it when you are a homeowner... and a wine room
    Good ideas to both!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Any suede, real or modern stain proof fuax, upholstery experiences? Its too hot here for regular leather

Flooring recommendations? The newer luxury waterproof vinyl plank systems seem to be better than any of the press board variants of flooring but Id love to hear some thoughts.

Any Murphy bed experience here?
    We would love for the guest room to also be an office/projector room

Quote Originally Posted by minty007 View Post
    Probably a separate thread, but as we are just buying a townhouse- I would love to hear non-professional opinions on what is worth tooling up for home repairs and what is worth it just to leave to professionals. Especially with limited tool space options

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dun View Post
    Any suede, real or modern stain proof fuax, upholstery experiences? Its too hot here for regular leather

Flooring recommendations? The newer luxury waterproof vinyl plank systems seem to be better than any of the press board variants of flooring but Id love to hear some thoughts.

Any Murphy bed experience here?
    We would love for the guest room to also be an office/projector room

Probably a separate thread, but as we are just buying a townhouse- I would love to hear non-professional opinions on what is worth tooling up for home repairs and what is worth it just to leave to professionals. Especially with limited tool space options
    Can't say that I have any experience with those things. But on your question of professional vs DIY, my personal opinion is that if you have the time, tools, and knowledge, you can do it yourself. Otherwise, hire a professional. Also, if you don't feel safe doing a project yourself, hire a pro. Rather pay a pro than a hospital bill.