Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do stay motivated for keeping fit?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    471 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Instagram is a mixed bag but if you find the right people/pages to follow, it can be useful and motivating. I follow a couple Oly lifters (@gsincraian and @gurphling) and Squat University (@squat_university) and I find it useful to A.) see really good lifters in action, and B.) see new tips on improving technique. Seeing great lifters motivates me to keep improving, and the Squat U stuff gives me lots of exercises and cues to work on to improve my technique and keep lifting in a safe and healthy way.
    Agreed completely on it being a mixed bag but you can learn from certain people depending on what your gym goals are. Mine is more bodybuilding and fitness then pure strength.

Some Iíd recommend
    hypertrophycoach - he has the best examples in explains the movements. How you should setup and target muscles
    Thequadguy- great variations if youíre getting bored. Some arenít beginner level things but he explains well.
    Danalynnbailey - great supersets and volume if thatís your desire. Sheís inspiring and has a great personality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

How do stay motivated for keeping fit?

Iím getting so much positive feedback that it keeps me motivated to exercise a lot. But Iím only in the gym a couple of times per week in the summer. For me, summer is for running and biking outside. I try to lift a couple of times per week for 45 minutes and do at least one yoga class, but I donít always get there. On the other hand, I get up super early to ride the bike 20 miles because itís beautiful and I love doing it.

For me, having a goal helps tremendously. I had a race to run earlier this summer, so I just committed to the training program and that was it, no option to miss it because the race was the race.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Well, for starters, if I let myself go, my suits and sportcoats, the most expensive part of my wardrobe, will no longer fit properly, and that alone is enough to keep me going. Because vanity.... Also, like others have said, exercise is like brushing your teeth or bathing: if you don't do it, your body will wither and die, so you don't have a choice in the matter.
    The motivation about not having the wardrobe fit is a good one. I have lost enough weight that my pants and shirt don't fit properly anymore. The wife was commenting the other night that I need to get out and buy some new pants since the cinched up plant look with belt is not doing it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
    Iím getting so much positive feedback that it keeps me motivated to exercise a lot. But Iím only in the gym a couple of times per week in the summer. For me, summer is for running and biking outside.
    This sums up my summer. Running and biking outside. I try to maximize that since our nice weather is so short. Heck this morning I was walking to the gym and I noticed that it is getting darker in the morning. Already. Gesh. Feels like we are already on the back end of summer.

Positive feedback though. That definitely helps. I need to get me some of that!

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Feels like we are already on the back end of summer.
    Longest day of the year was what, 3 weeks ago?

The days *ARE* getting shorter.

as for keeping motivation, the bottom line is ruts are death for a workout. i find myself seeking out new music to listen to every couple of weeks, or at least rotating what's on my phone. i also change up muscle groups/days on weights every month or so (monday/chest, tuesday/back, wednesday/legs, thursday/shoulders, friday/wind sprints and running) and then one week a month is dedicated to really weird stuff, obstacle course on base (totally not supposed to use it but watch me care), plyometrics, circuit training, that sorta thing.

change it up so you have something different to look forward to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    1. Set a sustainable routine
    2. See progress
    3. Doing it enough that I literally become addicted to the endorphins

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    For me having a sustainable program as a novice lifter has helped tremendously. I highly recommend the AlphaDestiny Novice program. The guy has a no BS approach and i have seen tremendous strength improvement which translates in also seeing more muscle build up.

You can do it two or three times a week and it fits my busy schedule like a glove. I have no affiliation with the guy other than being a satisfied user of his program (it's free).

https://outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Hey, just an FYI

MuscleTech Creatine is a Prime Day Deal, plus 35% off at checkout. ~$8 for 80 days servings
    Also, BodyFortress whey protein is $12 after Prime Day Deal and extra % off at checkout
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.Ē ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Setting up my goals and following some people on IG keep me motivated.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaxter View Post
    Setting up my goals and following some people on IG keep me motivated.
    I think I'm gonna start being an IG butt model like all the cool 20-somethings that don't have a real job.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I think I'm gonna start being an IG butt model like all the cool 20-somethings that don't have a real job.
    Hey those people are influencers!!!!