Thread: Grey Flannel Suit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Grey Flannel Suit

I am about to go into my senior year of high school and I would like to add a vintage 3 piece grey flannel suit to my wardrobe for the fall and winter months. Does anyone know where I can get my hands onto one

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    High school and wanting a flannel suit. Hmmm....eBay would be your best bet unless your thrift store scene is pretty good. Etsy could be a spot for one as well. The most important thing would be to get your measurements and find one that fits. The better sellers have their measurements and you can always ask them if you have questions. You could keep posting links here and asking us to help you out but in the end it is up to you.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1404 Post(s)
    I second, third and fourth all of the @JBarwick's suggestions. Local thrift shops is your best bet I'd think. Etsy was/is a brilliant suggestion too. I'd never have thought of looking there. Maybe check out the buy/sell section here too.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    Fifth those suggestions.

Fifth?

Is it bourbon time already?

Well, not for OP, being in high school, but I think for me it's almost BuffaloTraceO'Clock.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    @JBarwick Since I am still growing, I wouldn't want to have it custom tailored because I would not want to spend a couple grand for a suit that I will grow out of. I am looking for something off the rack. Thrift stores and Etsy sound like great ideas.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeh5335 View Post
    @JBarwick Since I am still growing, I wouldn't want to have it custom tailored because I would not want to spend a couple grand for a suit that I will grow out of. I am looking for something off the rack. Thrift stores and Etsy sound like great ideas.
    I believe he's referencing to ask for measurements so buying a second hand suit off eBay and the like might fit you better. Times have certainly changed. I wouldn't wear a flannel suit to school maybe a dressed up look for homecoming and prom but when we had non-uniform days the default look was chinos and T or adidas snap pants ... all the rage haha

I think your budget is greatly going to determine this but for most people any suit you get in HS will likely not fit or be out of style as you grow.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    As @hockeysc23 mentioned, knowing your measurements makes it a LOT easier to buy secondhand with confidence if you can't try it on. As long as you can get close, you can have things tailored for a few bucks once you get it in hand. Pro tip: maybe look for something a *little* larger than your measurements, so you can have it taken in, and then as you proceed through the enlargement process (ha i made "grow" sound so science-y) you can have it let back out to accommodate/last a bit longer.

Also keep an eye on sites like grailed, as there are frequently good deals to be had there.