Thread: Spit shine Monk Straps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Spit shine Monk Straps?

I recently bought Meermin Monk Straps in dark brown. I also bought neutral cream polish and wax polish. And I have watched and read about shining shoes and everything I have seen showing how to do a spit shine is on a toe cap oxford. I think it really looks nice when the cap has a spit shine. But do you spit shine the toe box of a plain toe monk strap? I am sure how that will look since there is no cap on the shoe. Please any feedback would be appreciated gentlemen.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCashhh View Post
    I recently bought Meermin Monk Straps in dark brown. I also bought neutral cream polish and wax polish. And I have watched and read about shining shoes and everything I have seen showing how to do a spit shine is on a toe cap oxford. I think it really looks nice when the cap has a spit shine. But do you spit shine the toe box of a plain toe monk strap? I am sure how that will look since there is no cap on the shoe. Please any feedback would be appreciated gentlemen.
    Oh look! The Shoe Snob has a pair of Monk Straps with no cap with a spit shine on the toe box:

https://www.facebook.com/theshoesnob...type=3&theater
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, by all means, shine it up. The only thing to watch out for is to stop before you get to where the shoe creases as you walk; this will be less obvious without the toe cap to guide you. If you do spit shine onto the crease zone, the layers of wax will tend to crack and peel when you walk, and then you'll have a cruddy mess on your hands that will look worse than no polish at all, even after you brush off all the loose waxy debris.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCashhh View Post
    Regardless of how you shine, just stop shortly before the area where toe crease would appear. The wax will start to flake off if you over-apply in that area. I personally haven't spit shined since the early days of Navy bootcamp. I quickly switched to water and then fire shining, since spit can be a bit gross lol.