Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swimsuits

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Swimsuits

I'm curious to know what type of swimsuits you gents favor. I've never cared much for the typical long baggy swimsuits that most guys tend to wear. I have very strong legs from years of doing elliptical every day, but they always end up look scrawny and short with typical swimsuits. I've always felt I would look better in something of a more tailored fit. I have found a couple of brands that have exactly what I am looking for, but unfortunately they are quite expensive. I'm curious if anyone here has had similar thoughts on this.

https://www.orlebarbrown.com/us/men/...en-swim-shorts

https://www.frescobolcarioca.com/us/.../category/157/

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    I've got a fat ass and a comparatively small waist so those trouser-style swim trunks (like Orlebar Brown) have never worked well for me. A size that feels secure in the waist will usually feel too restricting in the hips/thighs. A size that fits in the hips/thighs usually feels dangerously loose in the waist, even with the side tabs cinched down. I need elastic or a tie that I can cinch down for security.

I've gone through a lot of different swimsuits over the years and my favorites are Sundek's elastic waist trunks. They are pricey (and overpriced) at full price but I've been able to find them as low as $35 from Gilt, Amazon, etc. Right now I've got a pair in a dark, peacock-y teal and a pair in dark blue-black. I've got some other pairs in smaller sizes, including a bright canary yellow pair, that I'm hanging onto in case I ever manage to lose a little weight.

They come in tons of colors, patterns, waist styles, and inseam lengths and I love the added visual interest and pop of color you get from the signature rainbow stripe in the back.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I've got a pair of solid navy blue board shorts from J Crew that I like. They wear like 9" chino shorts, but only have one pocket. I'm personally not a fan of patterned shorts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Board shorts that hit above the knee. Has to have a back pocket with a zipper or velcro closure and no lining. My nice pair is from Quicksilver and I bought an extra pair from Target.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Suit Supply and Kent Wang have swimsuits similar to the Orlebar Brown. They're still pricey for swimsuits but at least they're under $100.

I have the same issues as LesserBlackDog. Finding decent fitting swimsuits is difficult when you have thighs and a small waist. I have two pair of the JCrew 7" pool shorts in different sizes on the way. Fingers crossed these work out.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog did a kick ass review of swimsuits a few years back. Hopefully this will help you out: https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...t=bathing+suit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Thanks guys for the feedback. There is a lot to look at here. The suit supply and kent wang suits might be worth looking into for what I am seeking. I'm just looking for something more tailored than the usual baggy suits. I do have a few from Bonobos that are very nice, but they make my legs look short and squat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    I almost forgot...the Onia Calder swim trunks are also worth checking out. I really liked the material they use especially for the lining. Probably the best I've experienced. Ultimately these were too slim for me but if you're looking for a tailored look these could fit the bill. You'll find the best prices for them at Nordstrom Rack. They usually had a ton of colors every summer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    I always wanted something like the Orlebar Brown. I found a similar design by Bonobos on eBay (don't think it is made anymore), and I was a bit underwhelmed.

Right now my favorites are Birdwell Britches. I have a pair of Birdwell x JCrew that is the perfect blend of being a board short, but not too long and baggy or too short (Chubbies). I believe they are the 311. They also make a shorter version, the 310.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I almost forgot...the Onia Calder swim trunks are also worth checking out. I really liked the material they use especially for the lining. Probably the best I've experienced. Ultimately these were too slim for me but if you're looking for a tailored look these could fit the bill. You'll find the best prices for them at Nordstrom Rack. They usually had a ton of colors every summer.
    I found a pair of Onia swim trunks in a TJ Maxx here once - I loved 'em, they were kind of a dusty lavender and the perfect length, but they were XL when I was wearing S/M. O whale.
    Ben