Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swimsuits

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I found a pair of Onia swim trunks in a TJ Maxx here once - I loved 'em, they were kind of a dusty lavender and the perfect length, but they were XL when I was wearing S/M. O whale.
    Are these them?
    https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...color=AMETHYST

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    That seems like the right color but the ones I remember were shorter and I think (I might be wrong) had an elastic waist.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    Thanks guys for the feedback. There is a lot to look at here. The suit supply and kent wang suits might be worth looking into for what I am seeking. I'm just looking for something more tailored than the usual baggy suits. I do have a few from Bonobos that are very nice, but they make my legs look short and squat.
    I was going to mention bonobos, have a couple pairs from them that I like. I think anything that's slim fit in a 5 or 7 in length would be good. Those Orlebar brown ones you linked are sweet but I would never shell out that kind of cash for trunks, personally. Also, don't be ashamed to take trunks to your tailor, i have!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlielo View Post
    I was going to mention bonobos, have a couple pairs from them that I like. I think anything that's slim fit in a 5 or 7 in length would be good. Those Orlebar brown ones you linked are sweet but I would never shell out that kind of cash for trunks, personally. Also, don't be ashamed to take trunks to your tailor, i have!
    My mistake when I bought them was that I bought them too long. They are all 9 inches or longer. As you said, 5 or 7 would be much better.

I ordered one from Suit Supply and a couple of Onia suits from Nordstrom Rack. Hopefully one of these works out. I really appreciate all the advice. It's very helpful.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I have a couple pairs of Orlebar Brown. They are actually have a sale right now. They have a sport model which has some stretch built in, those are very comfortable, and cheaper than the standard model. They, along with the Kent Wang and Suit Supply (I also have one from SS which I got during their sale a couple years ago), are the classiest looking swim shorts, but that's all personal preference. I'm able to get a perfect fit with them with the adjustable side tabs.

Jomers also released a new model which might fit the bill. I don't have them so can't speak to the quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I have two pairs of the Orlebar Brown bulldogs that I bought two years ago in solid colors. They don’t have any stretch in them, so unfortunately they don’t work as well as I’d like. Someone mentioned them now having a stretch fabric, and that’s a must if you workout at all.

This year I bought two Chubbies boardshorts. They are boardshorts, not elastic normal trunks. I was hesitant at first prior to ordering them, but they turned out to workout great. I like the non-elastic waist as I feel it is more flattering to me. They have a bit of stretch in the fabric two. They have a 7 inch inseam that probably works for most people very well who want something shorter than normal but don’t want to go “short”. I just got back from Mexico beach vacation, and I did find myself pulling them up on my legs a bit as I wouldn’t have minded them being shorter. At the same time, the 7 inch inseam will work for the neighborhood pool while anything shorter might draw funny looks from those who aren’t as fashion forward.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    I like a couple brands...Bather is one. They're sold through Huckberry but probably available on other platforms too. If you like them a little shorter they're great as they generally do 7" inseams if memory serves. I know they're the shortest swim trunks I own. The fabric on mine has no built in stretch but dries amazingly fast, which is nice, especially in situations where there's no place to change out of your swim trunks. Mine have a paisley bandana print that's pretty snazzy, at least I think so.

Another company I like is RUCA - the U in their name is the old Roman U so it looks like a V so it looks like RVCA but is pronounced Rookuh. They do a variety of inseam lengths, only it's a little confusing because all their shorts are listed by outseam length rather than inseam length so there's a little guesswork to try to figure out which outseam length corresponds to the inseam length you're going for. They have some nice styles though and mine have built in stretch so they're somewhat better for real activity like stand up paddle boarding, body boarding, etc. than the Bather's.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I really like the Mack Weldon trunks. The board shorts are nice, too, if you want something a bit longer.

I've also tried Birdwell. Super high-quality shorts in various lengths. I think they're a great value.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    I really like my Mr. Swim trunks. They have different types with different waist/fly styles, but they all have really comfortable mesh liners. It's the softest mesh lining I've had. Plus the pockets are nice and functional with the rear pockets featuring flaps/velcro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Onia Calder fan here as well. They are pretty high quality and pull off the transition to shorts pretty well. As a 7" inseam guy who does not skip leg day, I recently tested a 5" inseam from Everlane (now discontinued it looks like) and found it very freeing. Getting the around-the-leg fit is key though.

The 5" took some getting used to; when in doubt, the legs definitely bunch upwards... but if all ladies can pull off their swimsuit-style bottoms... we can embrace our upper thighs, too. Knee-length shorts always boggled my mind anyway in the hot weather, and worse, heavy once in the water.