Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black socks or colourful/happy socks with suit?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    In my office, most people get by with colorful, patterned socks.

For a new position, I'd stick to solid colored options until you get the lay of the land.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1364 Post(s)
    Negative to the black socks. Most, if not all of my socks have some kind of pattern to them. I don't wear outrageous socks, say with cartoon characters or whatever, but my socks to have some colour to them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Last time I wore black socks was for a funeral.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I had a period of black sock insanity, bought 10+ pairs to keep me in socks thru 2wks btwn laundry...but that was a decade ago...

Quote Originally Posted by meekrab View Post
    Last time I wore black socks was for a funeral.
    My standard now is definitely colored/patterned socks; ...even to funerals. Last funeral I attended, I wore black/grey thick/rugby striped socks....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Depends totally on the context.

Formal? Trying to stay below the radar and NOT make a statement? Then black or charcoal or dark brown depending on the suit & shoe colors.

Less formal? Friends? Colleagues who know me? Then happy/statement...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam482 View Post
    Fashion advice from professionals please?

Do you wear black socks with your suit to work or colourful socks with your suit to work?
    Advice is hard to give here without knowing you, your profession or your office culture. These will all be a factor in determining whether you want your socks to grab attention.

To the question of what do others wear... I don't like to draw attention to my socks (or anything else I wear, for that matter I suppose) so I always match them to my pants.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Like some of the other folks above, I try to strike a balance between boring and loud by wearing argyle/striped socks where one of the socks' colors matches the color of my pants.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Agreed that it's all about context. I wear patterned or crazy socks every day - even to court. If it's something more forma, I'll tone it down to just argyles or little spots or whatever, but almost never just solid color. If I did a lot of jury trials, I might reconsider, but otherwise I like a pattern. Makes laundry so much easier.

I do have a few pairs of solid socks for my tux and formal occasions, but they aren't worn much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Why only work on the extreme ends of boring black socks and crazy colourful socks while ignoring the in-between options?

Most of my dress socks are either solid, tasteful colours, or suble stripes, dots or houndtooth patterns. For example I have navy/dark blue socks in all those patterns, plus shades of grey, dark green, chocolate brown and burgundy. I now buy most of my socks from Viccel in over-the-calf length in both the winter weight and summer weight.