Thread: Another (mini) road-trip photo thread

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)

Another (mini) road-trip photo thread

The Good Professor went up to Boston this past weekend for his annual "glutton for punishment" a.k.a. Tough Mudder (full course, no 5k weenies here). Don't worry, we had plenty of time beforehand for exploring the city, seeing some history, and a surprise guest!!

My original headband from 2011 has gone missing (not difficult in a house full of ferrets--they steal all kinds of crap which usually gets found in the wife's sock drawer months later) but that's not a massive loss; it's the one i wore for numbers 2, 3, and 4 and it's a little...."past its prime". But, I had a lovely collection started already before the weekend:

IMG_20190626_203456_765 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

We did get to swing through Salem, and in all honesty it was pretty underwhelming. Not what we were expecting, way more 'touristy' than we'd hoped it would be.

IMG_20190628_135628_988 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_20190628_135628_987 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
    Last edited by armedferret; July 2nd, 2019 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    We then hit up Boston Common to wait for our special guest, and sadly a very historic landmark is no more:

IMG_20190627_195347_017 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

But we weren't sad too long, because we got to meet up and have snacks and beverages with none other than Mrs. Dappered herself! (no photos, she remains a mystery to the rest of ya ) She's a lovely woman inside and out, and we had an absolute BLAST hanging out with her....despite the very successful attempts by the gentleman providing live music at the Green Dragon (of MASSIVE historical significance I might add) to drown out any attempt at decent conversation. Looking forward to a day or so on a detour from next year's Rave Hajj number 1 (yes, we're doing TWO!....and the second is gonna be soooooo epic y'all) to maybe finally convince captain antisocial (lookin at you joe) to come out for a glass of lemonade and a neck-down photo-op.

After dinner we hiked down to the Old South Church:

IMG_20190628_210810_009 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_20190628_210810_008 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Saw a couple Audi R8s on the way there. So that was neat. Also saw two Rolls Royces (one Ghost, one Wraith), a Continental GT, and--of all things--an Aventador SV on the trip, along with numerous 911s.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Which brings us to event day. Let's just get this out of the way first and foremost....we were both unwell. We'd been under the weather for a couple weeks at this point (and on meds, not contagious, so Joe if she got sick it was some twit on the plane i swear....) and weren't feeling it at all. But we aren't quitters. We said we'd do it, we trained to do it, we're doin it. And boy am I glad we snuck into an earlier start time, cause about 15 minutes after we left they closed everything down due to lightning.

Anywho. This guy was trying to stay motivated before the start.

IMG_20190629_084729_198 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_20190629_083304_144 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

(That's called the Mudderhorn and it was tremendously fun to climb, it's the last obstacle)

Full disclosure--we skipped the electricity obstacles this time around. It's an earned privilege for anyone who's been through a TM before, and with both of us nowhere close to 100%, we just weren't feelin it. Mrs. also skipped a couple of the ones with deeper water as she never learned to swim. But other than that, we did it all, and enjoyed our free...ugh...Amstel Light at the end.

IMG_20190629_132503_009 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Ah well, free beer always tastes delicious eh?

(and yes, that's a flower in my headband--always be stylish friends)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Sunday we had a quick jaunt over to the spot where this great nation started before heading back to Maryland.

IMG_20190701_080345_446 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_20190630_112616_381 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

It was a very heavy feeling to be on the green where the first shots were fired. 77 against over 700. Not the greatest odds when you get 2-3 shots per minute from your military-grade assault weapon (of the time). And yet. Here we are.

A weekend of reminders that so much in life comes down to mind over matter. We humans tend to give up so easily well before we're truly beaten. I remain steadfast in my refusal to do so. If any of you would like to join us, we're going to participate in the Tough Mudder Atlanta in 2020. Probably in early November, as it is this year. Hit me up if you want to join us. When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)
    Very cool! Looks like I have another holiday destination I need to get to.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Very cool! Looks like I have another holiday destination I need to get to.
    It's a great area. Be ready for traffic. And I say that as someone who regularly commutes on 495 to Walter Reed in the mornings (which is HORRIBLE).....Boston traffic is straight up stupid. *IF* you're staying in the city it's not a really big deal, and you can walk most places or just grab an uber/lyft. We stayed on Hanscom AFB (naturally, rooms is CHEEEEEEEEAAAAAPPPP plus access to commissary and BX which we needed a couple times) so we had to commute into the city, which anytime before 6 PM on a weekday was just a terrible idea.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Im on orange headband #12 or #13 myself. Me FIL/BIL & friends do TM 1-3 times a year. OG here from when the obstacles were more hard than fun.

Hope you had a lobsta roll when you were out that way.

And did I spot a ruck in one of those pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pborkstrom View Post
    Im on orange headband #12 or #13 myself. Me FIL/BIL & friends do TM 1-3 times a year. OG here from when the obstacles were more hard than fun.

Hope you had a lobsta roll when you were out that way.

And did I spot a ruck in one of those pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NICE DUDE!! We're old, I only get so much time off per year (and we have to save some for our #ravehajj which is going international next year), and we try to do a different location each time, so we're on a 1-a-year schedule. Plus the missus doesn't have paid time off at all, so she tries to minimize off days.

And that's a sort of mini-ruck, my Mystery Ranch 3-day Assault Pack (used for our changes of clothing afterward) seen here. I got it when I had the distinct honor of living and working with some unbelievably massive heroes, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (bomb techs), in 2012-2013. Best. Christmas. Ever.

IMG_0868_zps6deafb95 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr