Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burgundy over Black Oxfords?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Burgundy over Black Oxfords?

I am starting a shoe rotation after throwing out all my old worn out dress shoes. And since I have found this site I am much more calculated with my wardrobe and I thank everyone here for the knowledge. I just bought dark brown monk straps from Meermin. And now I want another pair of shoes. From what I researched black oxfords seem like a clear cut staple that I must own. But I do find plain black shoes really boring and unappealing. I work in a business casual enviornment so I do not wear suits to work so although black might be most formal I dont think I have a great need for them. So I was thinking of getting burgundy oxfords toe caps, maybe with the brogue just at the toe cap? I would like your feedback please. Thank you all.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Black is the most formal, but burgundy is a good substitute and (if dark enough) can be worn with just about anything. Well, I'd avoid the Joker green-purple combo. They even work with black pants, which generally looks odd with brown shoes.

Given you have a business casual office, the shoe design you describe is plenty formal enough to offset the less formal colour. Though really an oxford should always be formal enough for such an office, even a full brogue.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    Burgundy is my favorite shoe color. But I don't think they look good with black trousers. I also don't much like plain black shoes (anymore--it used to be all I have).

However, I have two pairs of shoes that are two-tone black and burgundy (one pair of oxfords and one pair of boots). I do wear those with black trousers and jeans.

But if you don't have any black trousers you're concerned with--go for the burgundy. But if you have black pants, my suggestion is to get a pair of black full brogue wingtips if you don't like plain shoes. They are very versatile.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    You know, you might just find a pair of both on shoebank for what one or the other would normally cost.

That said, go ahead for the burgundy first especially if you'll get more wear out of them on the daily. But I would still strongly recommend following up as soon as you're able with a pair of black plain or cap-toe oxfords like a Park Ave or similar.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)
    black is just good for weddings. more or less.

you get a lot more use out of a brown wingtip. or a redwingtip maybe, but try brown first. red is fun but less useful than you might think. it's hard to pair with things.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)
    I don’t wear black trousers but outside of a funeral I haven’t worn black dress shoes in over a year. I work in a formal environment and varying shades of brown have always worked. If you want burgundy I’d go that route.

At least in my business environment the only people that wear black shoes are the poor fitting square toe ecco type ones.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    if we're considering other colors, a light-brown wingtip (walnut mcallister, meermin copper antique wingtip) is a really good choice too.

but if you've got a wedding or funeral (the latter can be very sudden, of course) to attend and formality is appropriate, you'll want that black cap-toe in the arsenal.

I picked up some AE Park Aves on ebay for just that purpose that were apparently worn like....3 times. The cork hadn't even conformed to the previous owner's feet. They were just a hair over $100.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    You haven't discussed budget, but depending on how much total you want to spend, you could get only the shoes you want and like right now.

Then, when the need arises for a formal black shoe, go to your local Nordstrom Rack and pick up a pair of inexpensive black shoes. There's no point in spending money you don't have on a pair of shoes you'll only wear twice a year or so.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    I am currently looking for a reasonable pair of burgundy semi-brogue oxfords. Please let me know what make and model you end up with.

I wouldn't compare burgundy/oxblood to black shoes except that both go well with charcoal trousers. But, the same thing can be said for burgundy and most any color.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I am currently looking for a reasonable pair of burgundy semi-brogue oxfords. Please let me know what make and model you end up with.

I wouldn't compare burgundy/oxblood to black shoes except that both go well with charcoal trousers. But, the same thing can be said for burgundy and most any color.
    What budget is reasonable?

JFitzpatrick has these on pre-order sale right now for $316:

https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/...-burgundy-calf