Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burgundy over Black Oxfords?

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1363 Post(s)
    I love my burgundy shoes. I have a pair of black oxfords that I must confess never see the light of day. I keep them around for special occasions, but even then, they are probably like new.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I'm with everyone here - I think burgundy shoes look great with most everything, especially the staple blues and grays. To me, AE's chili is a perfect shade - deep and rich without being too flashy. And something about adelaides agrees with that shade IMO. So, Cornwallis in chili FTW!

I also like the looks of Beckett Simonson's Durant in bordeaux and Spier & Mackay's "burgundy cap-toe":

https://www.beckettsimonon.com/produ...-leather-brown

https://www.spierandmackay.com/burgundy-cap-toe.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    I'm looking at some pics of burgundy shoes with outfits and it seems like the darker shades are probably more versatile. Would you guys agree?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Echoing what everyone else said - other than a handful of formal occasions, black shoes are barely necessary (unless you have a preference for them). I probably haven't worn my black oxfords in well over a year.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Echoing what everyone else said - other than a handful of formal occasions, black shoes are barely necessary (unless you have a preference for them). I probably haven't worn my black oxfords in well over a year.
    Or unless you're a lawyer going to court. On one occasion in the last year, I wore brown shoes to court. I was the only lawyer or consultant involved in our multi-party case that wasn't wearing black shoes.

Okay--my shoes were better than the ones worn by others (AE Macalister)--but the only brown shoes among all the government lawyers.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    What budget is reasonable?

JFitzpatrick has these on pre-order sale right now for $316:

https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/...-burgundy-calf
    I have these shoes and can attest that they are great.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I work in a professional office setting in a fairly large city. While those terrible black, square-toed shoes still exist, it seems like everyone nowadays wears shoes in tan/walnut. They're everywhere I look. I hardly ever see quality mid/dark brown, burgundy or black shoes.

I'm a big fan of a nice burgundy dress shoe (and would definitely recommend that over a tan/walnut) but want to throw out another viewpoint - a sleek, black dress shoe lets you stand out from the crowd without looking like you're trying to stand out from the crowd. I've got two pairs (well, one's technically a boot) and love to occasionally wear them because I'm usually the only person I'll see all day with a nice pair of black shoes. So while I'm usually in a mid or dark brown, it is nice to wear a sleek, well-polished, black shoe every now and then.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Or unless you're a lawyer going to court. On one occasion in the last year, I wore brown shoes to court. I was the only lawyer or consultant involved in our multi-party case that wasn't wearing black shoes.

Okay--my shoes were better than the ones worn by others (AE Macalister)--but the only brown shoes among all the government lawyers.
    I'm a fellow attorney and have seen others wear some weird things to court. I've seen lawyers in sport costs with no tie, in court, for example. Walnut colored shoes as well.

I, however, stick to a dark suit, tie, and black shoes in court. Since I'm a transactional attorney, that is not often thankfully.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

I'm in a regulatory practice, but a little surprised to hear this (particularly since you're in SoCal) - feels like I see a ton of brown shoes among attorneys these days. Then again, I don't necessarily know when people on the litigation side are or aren't going to court. I definitely wear (otherwise conservative) brown shoes to all my client meetings, though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I'm a fellow attorney and have seen others wear some weird things to court. I've seen lawyers in sport costs with no tie, in court, for example. Walnut colored shoes as well.

I, however, stick to a dark suit, tie, and black shoes in court. Since I'm a transactional attorney, that is not often thankfully.
    I was always told that showing up to court without a tie on was a good way to incur the judge's wrath. Has that changed?