Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading LinkedIn Photo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Upgrading LinkedIn Photo...

So my LinkedIn headshot it out of date and is just a mere candid. I booked a photographer for a professional shoot with editing afterwards.

My question: Beard or no beard for this new photo?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)
    How often do you wear a beard? Is it a normal thing or a rarity. Ideally you want your photo to match when you’ll meet people for interviews, networking and/or conferences. Sort of hard to tell without a photo of you to compare. Normally I’d opt for clean shaven.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    There's a lot of "it depends" in a question like this. Beards invariably make one look older; is that a good thing for your age/apparent age, position, experience level? Do you work in a conservative industry, or one where personality is an asset?

Then there's the beard itself. Perhaps even more than hairdos, beards can say a lot. Full, patchy, bushy, stubble, fancifull, over-shaped, or ragged? Also keep in mind that the photos won't always be high resolution or large enough to see detail, so a beard may not translate well to images. Someone with a copper-and-brown beard may end up looking like he's graying, and a full beard can end up looking patchy if close in shade to the skin.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1364 Post(s)
    No beard.

I generally grow a beard during the winter months and then shave it off during the summers. But when I was interviewing for jobs/positions most recently, the interviews were all in October/November/December. So off went the beard.

I just remember what a friend of mine said who works for boarder services. "People with beards seems like they have something to hide. Almost like they are running away from something. I always questions them more."

Anyway, just my $0.05.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Beards. The push-up bra for men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Beards. The push-up bra for men.

That's great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    No beard.

I generally grow a beard during the winter months and then shave it off during the summers. But when I was interviewing for jobs/positions most recently, the interviews were all in October/November/December. So off went the beard.

I just remember what a friend of mine said who works for boarder services. "People with beards seems like they have something to hide. Almost like they are running away from something. I always questions them more."

Anyway, just my $0.05.
    Honestly, this seems kind of crazy given that at least 20-30% of men have beards. FWIW I've literally never heard of anyone shaving off a beard for an interview or for professional reasons at all. I would just make sure you look the same in the picture as you do in real life; if you're clean-shaven in your pictures but have a beard IRL, that seems like a much bigger issue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    FYI, stubble is more universally attractive than either clean shaven or full beard.

Like others stated, go with how you normally look, and if you do decide to grow a beard or stubble make sure you actually can (i.e. you don't have patchy facial hair).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Honestly, this seems kind of crazy given that at least 20-30% of men have beards. FWIW I've literally never heard of anyone shaving off a beard for an interview or for professional reasons at all. I would just make sure you look the same in the picture as you do in real life; if you're clean-shaven in your pictures but have a beard IRL, that seems like a much bigger issue.
    Agreed. Maybe I'm biased because I have a beard, but trying to draw a correlation between ones character and ones facial hair seems absurd. It also seems like something that's never happened to me.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)
    linked in is a crappy marketing system that sends you ads and ads and ads for days. it's such a shit show.

don't join.