Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First watch advice?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Get something cheap to make sure you even like the feel of wearing watch. Perhaps a Casio Worldtimer?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ca...ue-proposition

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I have both the Rodina and Bulova with brown straps, and like both of them. Not overly expensive, but not so cheap you won't know if you like wearing a nice watch.
    All the info -> https://dappered.com/2015/07/10-simp...-free-watches/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windmill View Post
    I have both the Rodina and Bulova with brown straps, and like both of them. Not overly expensive, but not so cheap you won't know if you like wearing a nice watch.
    All the info -> https://dappered.com/2015/07/10-simp...-free-watches/
    Ugh at the nomos homage. When there are so many great budget watches that have their own unique styling, buying a homage is just cringeworthy, imo.

Of course, that's imo. I'd just steer a noob away from them because they may well never wear that homage again once they get into watches.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1363 Post(s)
    My vote goes for a Daniel Wellington. Quartz so it will keep good time. Minimalist so you can wear it to a job interview. And you can likely find one in your price range.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Some good suggestions, I think you'd be good with any mentioned. My first watch purchase in a long time was the Bambino about 4-5 years ago and it did the job perfectly at a great price point. I won't pretend to know your body type or wrist size but I would be very surprised if you put it on and it looked too large on your wrist. It's just not that type of watch, I feel it's got a low-medium profile and is a very wearable 40mm.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurps View Post
    Some good suggestions, I think you'd be good with any mentioned. My first watch purchase in a long time was the Bambino about 4-5 years ago and it did the job perfectly at a great price point. I won't pretend to know your body type or wrist size but I would be very surprised if you put it on and it looked too large on your wrist. It's just not that type of watch, I feel it's got a low-medium profile and is a very wearable 40mm.
    all depends. I like the idea of the bambino but i have tried them on and I find the proportions to be odd. Personal preference. I want to like it. This one would be right up my alley. I just cant get down with the watch on my wrist.

https://www.orientwatchusa.com/colle...cts/fac00009n0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    all depends. I like the idea of the bambino but i have tried them on and I find the proportions to be odd. Personal preference. I want to like it. This one would be right up my alley. I just cant get down with the watch on my wrist.

https://www.orientwatchusa.com/colle...cts/fac00009n0
    I think that is the model I actually have. I just put it on as I was running out of the house to get a look at it, itís been a while since Iíve worn it. Not sure of my wrist size but Iím a fairly big guy, 6í0 210 size 44L jacket size, for a little reference of my wrist and arm size. I guess I can see it being slightly large on a much smaller wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who thinks Orient makes nice looking watches but just can't get past the ugly logo on all of their watches?
    To OP: I throw in with many of the posters above--Timex or Citizen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the helpful responses! I'll look into all these!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurps View Post
    I think that is the model I actually have. I just put it on as I was running out of the house to get a look at it, it’s been a while since I’ve worn it. Not sure of my wrist size but I’m a fairly big guy, 6’0 210 size 44L jacket size, for a little reference of my wrist and arm size. I guess I can see it being slightly large on a much smaller wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the case size is great. I just think the dome is a littel too high. or maybe it needs a little more metal around the dial. I dont know. I just didnt liek it on my wrist. I am 5'11" and 155 so I am a smaller guy.