Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attending Wedding Attire Advice

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Since nobody is going black tie I think you'd be OK in the unlined linen suit - and here's a thought since it's light grey - a black tie would look great with it. There you go, you went black tie for black tie optional. It would probably be the most comfortable. I have the J. Crew unlined linen suit (they called in the un-Suit) from last year and it's the best at beating the heat that I've got, though nothing is really comfortable once you get to mid-90s and high humidity. I live in the DC area and took the dog for a walk just now in shorts and a jersey polo and it wasn't exactly comfortable, though I wasn't completely miserable either. In that suit I probably would have been even marginally less comfortable though it would have been bearable to sit still.
    ďClothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.Ē Ė Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    Good idea with the wipes guys. Thanks @mark4 yeah living in this area my whole life Iíve just sorta realized Iíll sweat but will look into that suit option.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    I have essentially the identical situation tomorrow: outdoor, 5pm wedding in 90 upper midwest humidity. Dress code is "semi-formal" with clarification that tuxes or suit are both great (the clarification was greatly appreciated and all people should do this. If you can't articulate what you want, then you don't know what you want.).

I would say don't wear the tux for your own sanity (I hate giving up the opportunity to wear one, but let sanity prevail), but also, this is a wedding with a reference to black tie so I would avoid linen and cotton.

Someone who takes clothes seriously, i.e. someone with 1,146 posts here, is going to look good in a linen suit, but I still think you should wear a wool suit.

I don't have a linen suit, but I'm also not wearing my favorite summer wedding suit - a tan J. Crew cotton suit - because I think it will be incongruous with the request for formality inherent in any black tie option. (I'll also go light on the pre-wedding prosecco truck...)

YMMV and best of luck!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Outdoor summer wedding? The unlined JCrew linen suit, hands down. No tie, wear suede shoes, and toss a linen pocket square in your jacket.

This is 2019. Half the make guests probably won't even be wearing a jacket. Going with wool is just masochism. I like the idea of rolling with the casual suit and not trying to dress it up with a tie or calf oxfords.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Requesting black tie optional for an outdoor summer ceremony when the wedding party isn't even going to be black tie is just irresponsible IMO.

Of course only you'll have the best idea about the formality of the crowd, location, etc... but as far as I'm concerned black tie optional is a dark wool suit if you're not going black tie. Light colored linen or cotton is pretty far off. No tie and suede shoes isn't even close.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Outdoor summer wedding? The unlined JCrew linen suit, hands down. No tie, wear suede shoes, and toss a linen pocket square in your jacket.

This is 2019. Half the make guests probably won't even be wearing a jacket. Going with wool is just masochism. I like the idea of rolling with the casual suit and not trying to dress it up with a tie or calf oxfords.
    I live in the same area and totally agree with this.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goalieman24 View Post
    Requesting black tie optional for an outdoor summer ceremony when the wedding party isn't even going to be black tie is just irresponsible IMO.
    I don't know why this thread is bothering me so much--well, I didn't until I read this. It seems ignorant, or maybe downright rude, to me to specify a black-tie optional dress code for a daytime outdoor wedding in the summer in a city that is known for humidity.

Is 4:30-5 considered evening? Not in my mind. Does anybody know?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    Fun evening. Went with the chino navy blue suit. Tie and pocket square. Groomsmen wore three piece gray tuxedo/suits and were dying haha

Father of the bride wore a black tux. Some in suits. One of my buddies in an untucked plaid shirt and chinos

It was fun but itís amazing how people dress for a wedding. Thank you all for the advice. I felt as prepared as possible and liked my outfit.