Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shaving help

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOG View Post
    After a while, though, two spots on my neck look a little red and are sometimes itchy.
    Interesting that it's the same two spots that show the irritation. Are these areas where you might tend to press a little harder or make more passes?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1053 Post(s)

Shaving help

Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    Interesting that it's the same two spots that show the irritation. Are these areas where you might tend to press a little harder or make more passes?
    Or maybe a shirt collar rubbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2026 Post(s)
    I had assumed he was getting red spots the same place I tend to get irritation when I'm being too quick or careless while shaving - I tend to get red bumps and razor burn on my neck on either side of my Adam's apple because A.) the area is concave and it's hard to effectively get a razor in there without pushing, and B.) the growth direction of the hair is a bit all-over-the-place in that area and tends to require multiple passes of the razor. More pressure + more passes with the razor = more opportunity for irritation, especially if I am not taking my time.

Occasionally I get irritation under and around my jaw since it's a similar problem with being a hard-to-shave shape and hair growing in weird directions, although a convex shape like a jaw is easier to manage than a concave shape like the "canals" around the Adam's apple.
    Ben

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog is correct, it is on either side of the Adam’s Apple but not right next to the Adam’s Apple. It’s a little further back and a bit above where a shirt collar hits. I tried to get a picture, but it just wasn’t happening. I do usually go over the area a couple of times and I just noticed that the grain in these areas is in a different direction than the grain directly under my chin to the Adam’s Apple.

It’s still strange that this just started happening as I’ve been shaving the same way forever. As mentioned, I only shave three–maybe four–times a week. I will, however, change my angle of approach tomorrow when I shave again and see if that helps.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    All this talk of slicing up one’s face is hardly encouraging.

I’ve been shaving for a long time and have used all sorts of different methods. This irritation just started a couple of months ago. I have no discomfort while I’m shaving–with the grain using the Gillette Fusion blade and shave gel (the Fusion combo actually reduced some irritation I used to get). After a while, though, two spots on my neck look a little red and are sometimes itchy. The Aveeno moisturizer would calm the skin and eliminate the itchiness, but the redness remained.

I’m hesitant to completely change my routine but I’ll mix it up a little and see if that helps.
    @mark4 ‘s comment about chemical sensitivity is interesting. I wonder if there are natural, unscented products I could use after shaving.
    @C.Dubs I totally thought of that too.
    There are indeed unscented all natural products...but they all contain chemicals (because, like, everything contains chemicals whether they're natural or not) and if it's a chemical sensitivity issue switching to them might fix the problem, or it might not. I tried a bunch of different stuff for a while before switching to an electric shaver. I think the best thing I used - it's weird because it's not like traditional shaving soaps and creams/foams at all - was Very Emollient shave by Alba Botanica. It has the consistency of a thick hair conditioner if memory serves. Does not lather at all. But it lubricates and was less irritating.

It helped for a while but eventually I'd start getting irritation again. I think it's the combination of the shaving plus adding chemicals - the blades make it easier for the chemicals to penetrate the skin and that makes for more skin irritation. I still shave with a Harry's cartridge occasionally as those electric shavers are not that great if you've gone a little too long between shaves - for me if I go 3 days or longer I'll need to shave with the cartridge and shaving cream, and then use the shaver after that until I go another spell without shaving every day or every other. A one off wet shave doesn't irritate all that much. The shavers are a bit of an initial outlay but you only need to change the foil every 18 months with the Brauns, so in the long run they're not necessarily that expensive.

My experience with the safety razor was that there is a learning curve, and even after I got through that it just took so long and so much care to get a decent shave that I just decided 10 extra minutes of sleep was more important to me, though I have nothing against anyone who has decided that the shaving ritual is worth it.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog is correct, it is on either side of the Adam’s Apple but not right next to the Adam’s Apple. It’s a little further back and a bit above where a shirt collar hits. I tried to get a picture, but it just wasn’t happening. I do usually go over the area a couple of times and I just noticed that the grain in these areas is in a different direction than the grain directly under my chin to the Adam’s Apple.

It’s still strange that this just started happening as I’ve been shaving the same way forever. As mentioned, I only shave three–maybe four–times a week. I will, however, change my angle of approach tomorrow when I shave again and see if that helps.
    Yep, that's the same place I used to get razor burn (and occasionally still do) and I would guess a lot of guys are in the same boat. That's just a tricky area to shave for the reasons you guys have mentioned.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    I was going to suggest watching the videos put out by The Sharpologist but I see someone else beat me to the punch!

When I was curious about DE shaving and wanted to switch away from drug store razors, this website taught me pretty much all I needed/wanted to know. I cannot recommend him enough.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Less pressure on the razor and shave WTG (likely adams apple to ear SW to NE or adams apple down diagonally NW to SE). A lot of people have whorls in the grain growth here, which tends to lead to tiny ingrowns/irritation. By using less pressure and shaving WTG, you aren't allowing the cart razor to apply as much hysteresis effect to the whisker thereby not allowing the hair to be cut below the skin. As I mentioned earlier, fully hydrating the whiskers will soften them about 40-60% (normally as hard as copper wire) and allow you to reduce the amount of pressure you are using.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    Honestly I think that using a safety razor, shaving slowly, and shaving with the grain will make more difference than any of the other stuff that you put on afterward.
    I second this. I'm not sure why the safety razor avoids irritation (something to do with only having one blade I think), but it does. Pretty easy to get used to. Just go slow and gentle, and do not move it laterally as you shave.