Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tux questions

  1. #1
    Varsity Member goodwillhinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

    Tux questions

    I think it's finally time for me to pull the trigger and buy a tuxedo this year. I already have two black tie events later this year.

    Should I go with the Spier & Mackay tux: https://www.spierandmackay.com/navy-...edo-25155.html

    or

    SuitSupply: https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/eveningwear_package

    If I go with S&M, where would I find a matching bowtie or vest/cummerbund?

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,269
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    I went with SuSu package since I had a gala coming up and didn’t have enough time to go any other decent route. I was very happy with it if you’ve already justified paying that amount to own.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,812
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    I'd go with the SuitSupply package. You have options for shirts, shoes, and ties. You will also need to get some studs, cuff links, and a cummerbund (if you go with one).

    S&M is great but you still have a lot of things to piece together. A shirt is going to run $100 and shoes could be tough. I got lucky AE had some for $100 but I would not know where else to go now.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    If you need everything, the SuSu package is hard to beat. Gives you all of the staples and lets you get the accessories on your own.

    It also depends on how much of a "purist" you want to be. i.e., in reality most people aren't going to notice if you have an existing pair of good oxfords that are shined well instead of patent leather.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I'll also vouch for SuitSupply. I took the plunge on one about 4-5 months ago. I wasn't exactly super excited about spending $800-$850 on it, but my option was spend more upfront on something I know will look good and actually fit versus spending $200 each time on some shitty, ill-fitting rental tux. I'll probably only need a tux 1.5x a year, so the pay back is probably 4 years, but at least I know I looked good.

    Also - the only items you'll still need to buy with SuitSupply are the socks and cufflinks. I wouldn't buy the cufflinks from SuitSupply though. They are expensive for what they look like. I think they were like $100 while you could probably buy ones that look the same online for like $20.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
    I think it's finally time for me to pull the trigger and buy a tuxedo this year. I already have two black tie events later this year.

    If I go with S&M, where would I find a matching bowtie or vest/cummerbund?
    The S&M facings are smooth satin, so finding matching accessories should be easy enough. A matching vest would probably require ordering one from S&M; they're good about offering such custom additions if the fabric is from current stock. And a US$428 price is damned good for a wool-mohair two-piece (Joe listed the price in CAD).

    However, the pants lack the silk ribbon on the side seams, which is oddly out of keeping with the otherwise mostly traditional design (the double vents are debatable, and the SS jackets also have them). That said, since the jacket is faced in satin it'd be trivial for a tailor to add a ribbon to the pants.

    The SS package is a reasonable deal, if you need all the pieces, but they don't offer vests or cummerbunds in the package (and outside the package options the only vests I can see at all are both navy). Keep in mind SS tends to use grosgrain silk facings, so it'll be harder to match the texture. Their shirts come with studs.

    Price-wise, the US$200-$300 savings on the S&M makes for a draw with the SS package. Either way you'll also need cufflinks and a waistcoat/cummerbund. SS really only comes out ahead if you need/want patent leather shoes. Spend a few dollars to put a professional mirror shine on existing plain-toe or cap-toe balmorals and nobody will bat an eye unless the event ticket cost more than your outfit (and even then only a few will notice).

    The other consideration is fit. S&M offers the same design in both its fits, while SS generally has one fit per design. You'll have to know if you like both the fit and the design.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member goodwillhinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    The S&M facings are smooth satin, so finding matching accessories should be easy enough. A matching vest would probably require ordering one from S&M; they're good about offering such custom additions if the fabric is from current stock. And a US$428 price is damned good for a wool-mohair two-piece (Joe listed the price in CAD).

    However, the pants lack the silk ribbon on the side seams, which is oddly out of keeping with the otherwise mostly traditional design (the double vents are debatable, and the SS jackets also have them). That said, since the jacket is faced in satin it'd be trivial for a tailor to add a ribbon to the pants.

    The SS package is a reasonable deal, if you need all the pieces, but they don't offer vests or cummerbunds in the package (and outside the package options the only vests I can see at all are both navy). Keep in mind SS tends to use grosgrain silk facings, so it'll be harder to match the texture. Their shirts come with studs.

    Price-wise, the US$200-$300 savings on the S&M makes for a draw with the SS package. Either way you'll also need cufflinks and a waistcoat/cummerbund. SS really only comes out ahead if you need/want patent leather shoes. Spend a few dollars to put a professional mirror shine on existing plain-toe or cap-toe balmorals and nobody will bat an eye unless the event ticket cost more than your outfit (and even then only a few will notice).

    The other consideration is fit. S&M offers the same design in both its fits, while SS generally has one fit per design. You'll have to know if you like both the fit and the design.
    Great feedback. That's exactly what I was looking for. I am leaning toward the S&M. I get the convenience of the SS. But I already have some plain-toe black balmorals. And I've been really happy about every purchase I've made from S&M. Thanks!

  8. #8
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    a navy tux is fun to use once in a while if you already have a standard tuxedo, but the main point of black tie is to not stand out among everyone else in attendance (barring the occasional dinner jacket, which will more than likely still be worn with black tux trousers, which ought to have the strip down the outseam as previously mentioned). go with the SuitSupply (or may I suggest Black Lapel if OTR isn't ideal and you require a bit of tailoring, they're magnificent) for a first option.

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I'd go with the SuitSupply package. You have options for shirts, shoes, and ties. You will also need to get some studs, cuff links, and a cummerbund (if you go with one).

    S&M is great but you still have a lot of things to piece together. A shirt is going to run $100 and shoes could be tough. I got lucky AE had some for $100 but I would not know where else to go now.
    JCrew tends to put patent leather tux shoes on sale every once in awhile if you keep an eye out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •