Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loafers with shorts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    One thing about driving loafers or mocs to keep in mind is that the majority of them have that pebbled sole and theyr'e shiiiiiiiit to walk in for any length of time. I prefer a more traditional smooth or normally treaded sole; my most recent purchase was these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKWBKFZ Geox driving mocs.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Loafers with shorts is a Trad/Preppy staple. It goes with the idea that the style is slightly overdressed in most scenarios(and also slightly underdressed in most scenarios). Drivers are pretty easy to pull off, but as noted above, can come across as trying to hard. Easier still are suede loafers. I find CXL/pull-up leather pretty easy to style with shorts. Shell seems to be the hardest to pair with shorts in my mind.

I am a big fan of penny and tassel loafers with the former being my choice for shorts. I tend to keep the shape more of a traditional round moccasin toe and avoid elongated European styles.
    I'm not sure I follow this line of thought. Penny loafer style drivers = trying too hard, but penny loafers = all good?

Maybe I should be more clear, but I'm a bigger fan of suede penny loafer style drivers than calf.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    For a more casual loafer, how about a suede navy like this AE? https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/...S_color=69130S

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    616 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Loafers with shorts is a Trad/Preppy staple.
    i constantly am doing my Red Leather AE Kenwoods and my Red Shell AE Patriots with shorts of all colors. add surgincle belt and you're totally fantastic for the entire summer 8-)

maybe if i'm going to the beach or fishing i might even do the boat shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    I am wearing a pair of Sebago penny loafers with shorts and a Reyn Spooner Hawaiian shirt as I write this. The Sebagos are waxy full grain leather in the classic Weejuns pattern. It’s either a fashion disaster or high style...
    Mark

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Well, it certainly isn’t high style... To be fair, I wouldn’t call it a disaster either.

Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    I am wearing a pair of Sebago penny loafers with shorts and a Reyn Spooner Hawaiian shirt as I write this. The Sebagos are waxy full grain leather in the classic Weejuns pattern. It’s either a fashion disaster or high style...

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jikaasik View Post
    Do you mind if I ask which ones you went for?

The ones I've noticed most often are the McGraw, Cavanaugh, and recently the Catalina. With the first two, I thought they might be slightly too formal for shorts? In the case of the Catalina, I've just seen no information on them.
    I went with the Sedona Suede Penny Loafer. The price was right and I figured I'd give them a try. Hopefully they will arrive this week so I can give you an update on how they work - or don't work - with shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I ended up deciding to wait, since most of the AE shoes I was interested in were sold out in my size. I'll content myself with boat shoes and my one pair of Sea Islands for now