Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety Razor Appreciation

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Safety Razor Appreciation

I've been shaving with a safety razor for about two years now and I'll never go back. Today's main page post got me thinking about some new things. For example, I haven't tried feather blades before but based on the article, I'm going to because my stubble is coarse. Also, I'm going to give a hard soap a try instead of a cream. I thought it would be fun to start a thread about wet shaving and the setups we use. Any tips/tricks for a better shave? Does anyone like a particular soap or cream?

Razor: Muhle R89
    Blade: Personna Platinum
    Soap: Taylor of Old bond street Sandalwood cream
    Aftershave: Captain's Choice Sandalwood (but I don't mind Old Spice either)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Sounds like a fun thread idea! I've been wet shaving for probably about 3-4 years (though less lately, as I'm currently sporting a half-yeard). Still wet shave cheeks and neck though. Never going back to electric. Never.

Razer: Gillette Fatboy Adjustable
    Blade: Astra SP
    Cream: TOBS Mr. Taylor
    Aftershave: Depends on my mood, typically Old Spice during cooler months and Aqua Velva Blue during warmer months.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I've been using a safety razor long enough that I can't remember how long I've been using one. I have really sensitive skin and a pretty tough beard. Shaving used to be excruciating and I would bleed all over the place. Using a safety razor I don't really have any discomfort and I cut myself a lot less. I will say that there was a learning curve and it took me a little while before I got the hang of keeping the razor at the right angle to my face. It also took me a while to figure out what blades/soap worked best for me. For my face, a really sharp blade and glycerin soap work best. I get my supplies from https://www.classicshaving.com/ they have great house brand stuff for cheap

Razor: Classic Super Knurl
    Blades: Feather
    Soap: Classic Shaving house brand https://www.classicshaving.com/colle...g-soap-3-large
    After: cold water to rinse and dab dry my face, I usually skip aftershave or lotion because the slight scent from the soap is enough and I don't have dry skin

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    A great shave is less about the products/hardware used and more about the prep and technique. I've got just about every single style of shaving implement available (carts, DE, SE, injector, Artist Club, Straights, Kamisori), shave daily, and have a big enough stash of products to last me the next 5-10 years. Ensuring that you are not using more pressure than is necessary and that the blade is at the correct cutting angle are key. Right behind that in importance is making sure that the whiskers are actually hydrated and knowing which way your beard grows will take a shaver a very long way. Even if the whiskers are very coarse/tough, if there is enough water in them, they soften right up and you are rewarded with an easy, tug free shave.

As far as my daily set up, I'd love to provide one, but I'm typically changing everything, but the soap and aftershave (both of which I try to use up before moving on to the next one).

My latest shaves have been with a concoction of Williams Mug Soap and Razorock Mr. Pink aftershave, i.e. Pink Willy. Brush has been the H.L. Thater Fünf. Aftershave is Aqua Velva Musk. Razor has been either a Filiarmonica Straight (14 Especial Para Barbas Duras or a 14 Novodur) or my Gillette Fatboy with Wizamet Polsilver.

As far as Feather blades go, I like them quite a bit, but tend to gravitate towards the Polsilvers since I can usually get 30 or more shaves out of a blade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Another Convert

I also converted to traditional wet shaving about 2.5 years ago and it has greatly improved my shaving experience. I can't imagine going back to my old way of shaving using multi-blade cartridges and canned shaving gel. I also found that washing my face with an exfoliating facial scrub before beginning my shave routine significantly reduced my skin irritation and hair bumps. It also helps that I can get away with shaving twice a week. However, I can attest to wet shaving with a safety razor being a more economical, environmentally friendly, and healthier method of shaving.

Pre-shave: Equate brand Skin Cream (generic Noxzema)
    Shave Cream: typically C.O. Bigelow by Proraso, but my wife bought me a tub of The Art of Shaving Lavender cream for V Day and it smells great and performs really well.
    Razor: Mehaz Safety Razor (nothing special, but it works just fine)
    Blades: Personna
    Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger
    Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I started using a safety razor in high school after not having having good experiences with electric razors or cartridge razors. I got cut a few times starting out but now it rarely ever happens, and I've never looked back. I really appreciate the cost effectiveness of it, being a college student. Currently using:

Razor: Muhle 33c (I had an Edwin jagger first but I dropped it and it broke. I've dropped the muhle a couple times and it's held up fine)

Blades: Gillette Silver Blue ( I've used Derby, Feather, 7 O'clock, and maybe one other but silver blue always works best)

Brush: Perfecto pure badger from Amazon

Shaving cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street, St. James scent. (Went through a cheap vanderhagen puck and TOBS Eton College, and don't think I'll ever switch from TOBS, just change up the scent whenever I run out of one)

Post-shave moisturizer: Nivea sensitive post shave balm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    A great shave is less about the products/hardware used and more about the prep and technique. I've got just about every single style of shaving implement available (carts, DE, SE, injector, Artist Club, Straights, Kamisori), shave daily, and have a big enough stash of products to last me the next 5-10 years. Ensuring that you are not using more pressure than is necessary and that the blade is at the correct cutting angle are key. Right behind that in importance is making sure that the whiskers are actually hydrated and knowing which way your beard grows will take a shaver a very long way. Even if the whiskers are very coarse/tough, if there is enough water in them, they soften right up and you are rewarded with an easy, tug free shave.
    Technique and prep are definitely key ingredients.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    I have been doing the safety razor thing for a couple of years now. My beard is coarse and my skin is sensitive so I had constant irritation and ingrowns. Safety razor and good prep has made a world of difference. I have some feather blades but havent used them yet. They are very sharp (by reputation) and I dont have great luck with super sharp blades. Here is what I use right now

Razor: Razorock Jaws or Edwin Jagger ED89
    Blade: Crystal (Israel)
    Brush: L'Occitan Synthetic
    Soap: Taylor of Bond Street "Mr Taylor"
    Post Shave: L'Occitan

I have a few other blades I use sometimes like Wilkinson Sword, Lord, Astra, Personna, and some Russian assortments but the Crystal are my favorite by far. I also have a drawer full of soaps, creams and aftershaves and mix them in on occasion but the Taylor lathers so quick and easy, it is what I use for the most part. I went all in for a while and purchased a lot of samples and assortment packages but I dont think I have bought shaving supplies in over a year now. I did get a fresh tube of the L'Occitan balm for Christmas. It works so well and my wife likes the scent so when she saw me running out, it was an easy choice for her to stick in my stocking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I have been doing the safety razor thing for a couple of years now. My beard is coarse and my skin is sensitive so I had constant irritation and ingrowns. Safety razor and good prep has made a world of difference. I have some feather blades but havent used them yet. They are very sharp (by reputation) and I dont have great luck with super sharp blades. Here is what I use right now

Razor: Razorock Jaws or Edwin Jagger ED89
    Blade: Crystal (Israel)
    Brush: L'Occitan Synthetic
    Soap: Taylor of Bond Street "Mr Taylor"
    Post Shave: L'Occitan

I have a few other blades I use sometimes like Wilkinson Sword, Lord, Astra, Personna, and some Russian assortments but the Crystal are my favorite by far. I also have a drawer full of soaps, creams and aftershaves and mix them in on occasion but the Taylor lathers so quick and easy, it is what I use for the most part. I went all in for a while and purchased a lot of samples and assortment packages but I dont think I have bought shaving supplies in over a year now. I did get a fresh tube of the L'Occitan balm for Christmas. It works so well and my wife likes the scent so when she saw me running out, it was an easy choice for her to stick in my stocking.
    Good to know about the feathers. I've tried going to a sharper blade(Gillette silver blue) and they shred me to bits.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    I am sure we could master sharper blades with different pressure etc but honestly, I have a combo that works for me so I don't feel the need to rock the boat. And my crystals are way cheaper than feather.