Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair removal

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I havent tried this out yet, but I've heard people have had good results. There are some ytube vids of it as well.

https://bakblade.com/
    Oh lord... I tried one of these types of products once and managed to clean slice off about a two quarter size patch of skin on my shoulder blade. Blood everywhere. It was terrible. I still have a scar.

Use this stuff at your own risk. I would rather use a regular razor and risk missing some spots than one of these oversized "get it all in one swoop" products.
    Ben

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Oh lord... I tried one of these types of products once and managed to clean slice off about a two quarter size patch of skin on my shoulder blade. Blood everywhere. It was terrible. I still have a scar.

Use this stuff at your own risk. I would rather use a regular razor and risk missing some spots than one of these oversized "get it all in one swoop" products.
    Jeebus, pass on that then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have the original bakblade (looks like theyíre on 2.0 now?). Been using it for about 5 years and have never cut myself. Works really well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    483 Post(s)
    I got one of these for the back ... https://www.mangroomer.com/

It works pretty well. Sure I took off a little bit of a mole once which was user error and I didn't notice until I was showering and saw blood dripping down ... no worse than not paying attention when shaving your face.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    I'm pretty hair (and a patchy beard to boot, thanks Dad) and it didn't bother me until last year when I decided to shave my chest/arms with a Phillps Oneblade. My wife went gaga for it, so now I'm a chest shaver Į\_(ツ)_/Į I'm fine with the stubble, and tend to trim everything every 2-4 weeks. Usually around the time it might get a bit itchy. It takes about 10-15 min with the oneblade to do my arms, and chest. My experience with back waxing last summer was better than most, I didn't have any reaction beyond itchiness for a day, and it seemed to last 4+ weeks.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    I got a OneBlade not too long ago and was honestly pretty disappointed at how it handled shoulder/back hair. It took a lot of passes to get everything. It seemed like the hair was too fine or something and the shaver would just pass over it without cutting. I need to give it another go at some point, but my initial run wasn't great. I've had the most luck with using more conventional electric clippers (like what you would use on your head or face). I did dabble with Nair many years ago, and it actually worked pretty well, but it was just kind of a mess.

Regardless of methods, it hasn't been something I really keep up with. It's more just what I'll do before I have a beach trip (or something similar) coming up.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1116 Post(s)
    something to know about laser hair removal...it detects the darkness of a hairy follicle and seals it shut. If you have sporadic hair, it will get soem of it but as you get older, more hair will come in where it wasnt before. Also, if you have dark skin or moles, your results will vary. And if you have tattoos...dont do it over the tattoo. A respectable place wont do over them. The laser can detect the ink as follicle pigment and turn into a painful mess. Something else to know about all of that...it is second hand info from afriend that went through it with mixed results. trust a legit professional over what I say but ask those questions.

I have the standard patch of hair at the base of my neck and spine. I also have a bit on my back but not a ton. My upper arm hair and chest hair is rather long and very thick and straight. I dont like the way the back hair looks. I really dont like how the other hair feels int he summer here in Georgia. I shave the nape and spine base with a womens razor. It works so much better than a mens razor. Shaves better at odd angles and doesnt cut me. I occasionally get as much of my back as I can but I really dont worry about that as much. I find that once I get a little sun on me, it really isnt that noticeable visually and it isnt thick enough to cause discomfort. I use a standard trimmer to trim my...well everything else. Not super often but every once in a while i knock it all back. I do this mostly for comfort and somewhat for visual. I actaully trim my legs more in the winter because my unchecked leg hair under boot socks and jeans feels gross to me. My shoulders get some longer black hairs sometimes too. This is where my tattoos come in handy. You dont even notice the hair except for at very limited angles. Getting a little fitter is helping the chest hair too.

in summary, I shave a little, trim a lot, get a little sun, get a fitter build, and divert attention with tattoos. This seems like a lot of work but it isnt all for body hair. Its a sum of things I want to do that has ended up making me OK with whats going on.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    I was inspired by this thread to clean up my back hair with a clipper - not shave it off, just trim it a bit.

I am actually pretty happy with the results - it looks cleaner and is still soft to the touch with no skin irritation/backne issues.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I was inspired by this thread to clean up my back hair with a clipper - not shave it off, just trim it a bit.

I am actually pretty happy with the results - it looks cleaner and is still soft to the touch with no skin irritation/backne issues.
    That is my go to approach. Contain, not eradicate lol.

Oddball pro-tip if anyone does any long distance hiking or running...Either do a fairly fresh wax so it is smooth but not freshly irritated from the ripping or let the nature take over for a while. Stubble will rub you so raw it aint even funny. Also, and this may be gross to some, but hair is a natural dry lubricant. It keeps areas where skin meets skin from chaffing. I plan on letting the back hair grow before doing my week on the trail because thats long enough for a fresh wax or shave to turn into stubble and get ingrowns and irritated skin from the pack rubbing it all day.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1116 Post(s)
    oh, and the thing about hair growing back thicker...a little bit of truth, a little bit of anecdotal info there. Hair doesnt adapt to shaving but it does get thicker or more coarse as you age. So if you shaved for a while and then stopped, it might grow back thicker than you remember. But it would have thickened over the years even if you didnt shave. also, when you shave, it grows back with a blunt end so it doesnt feel as soft as when it grows out and has a natural taper to the tip...so it FEELS thicker. Shorter hairs are more stiff than longer hairs because...well physics. So shorter hairs feel thicker than longer hairs too. a lot of women prefer waxing because it grows back with the natural taper so it isnt as prickly and they can go a little longer than they would have to get it redone. Which is good because you cant wax as often as shaving. You need enough hair for the wax to grip and rip so you have to let it grow out a little.

So if you are afraid that shaving or wxing because you think your little patch will turn into a wookie blanket from shaving, dont. If that were the case guys with thinning hair would shave and reshave their head to get it to thicken and grow back.