Thread: AE recrafting question

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

AE recrafting question

Hi - question for those of you familiar with AE's recrafting service. I have a pair of McAllisters that make sort of a squishing/squeaking sound when I walk - it's kind of hard to pinpoint, but seems to be coming from the heel and/or the ball of my foot, rather than the uppers / lacing area, if that makes sense. It's nothing noticeable when walking on pavement or hard floors, but loud enough in a carpeted office to be annoying, and I've had the shoes for a few years, so it's not a question of needing to break them in.

Any thoughts as to whether sending them in for a recraft could address this? I have an inquiry in to AE CS as well, but figured someone here may have a similar experience.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Are the heels still tight to your foot? My foot shape is prone to my heel lifting slightly in the shoe as I walk. Shoes with a lower vamp and a bigger unlaced foot opening are particularly annoying. Between the friction of the leather against my sock and the air being forced in/out of small opening it produces a noise I'd describe the same way you've described yours. Perhaps over the years you've owned the shoes your foot shape has changed slightly, or the leather has stretched just enough to loosen the fit around your heel.

In that case recrafting, by shaping the upper over the original last, would be a short-term fix at best.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Probably not. I had a pair like that and AE replaced them. Several of my AE's make a light squishing noise, which is probably not uncommon; but the pair I referenced squeaked. I didn't have them for 2 years though, before I contacted AE. They were loud enough that I didn't want to wear them. It may be a shank problem.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    My Park Avenues can be like that on some carpet. Weird, eh? I don't think I notice it until I had them for several months. I have lots of other AE shoes and they don't do that. With so many shoes, I don't wear any of them often enough that I worry about it too much. Especially now that I work at home. And most of the places that I wear my Park Avenues don't have carpet.

I don't think recrafting would help mine--the noise seems to come from the upper and not the sole.

That said--I belong to a Facebook group that has a bunch of cobblers as members--maybe you should ask that group? PM me and I'll send you the name if you like.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    This is helpful, appreciate it! Sounds like recrafting is a long-shot solution, which I kinda figured. AE CS did get back to me and gave me the number to their recrafting department so I may give them a call just to see if they have any suggestions, otherwise I'll just learn to live with it.
    @mebejoseph, I may take you up on your offer, I'll shoot you a PM. @Evenflow, sorry for the trouble with your shoes but nice to know I'm not imagining the issue. I did contact AE when I first got them and they didn't seem to think it was anything out of the ordinary - I probably should have pursued it more at the time, but that's on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Are the heels still tight to your foot? My foot shape is prone to my heel lifting slightly in the shoe as I walk. Shoes with a lower vamp and a bigger unlaced foot opening are particularly annoying. Between the friction of the leather against my sock and the air being forced in/out of small opening it produces a noise I'd describe the same way you've described yours. Perhaps over the years you've owned the shoes your foot shape has changed slightly, or the leather has stretched just enough to loosen the fit around your heel.

In that case recrafting, by shaping the upper over the original last, would be a short-term fix at best.
    Yeah it definitely sounds like the same friction/air kind of noise - in terms of the heel, there's maybe a small gap/lifting thing going on, but that said, it's no more than most of my other AEs, and less than some. Though I guess it could be a quirk of the individual pair/manufacturing process - something for me to test out when the kids are asleep later.

Thanks again guys!
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”