Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beach hat for vacation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Beach hat for vacation?

Mexico beach vacation in a week and got to wondering if I need a hat. Will primarily be at pool and beach. I’m not a hat guy and haven’t worn one since my junior year of college 16-17 years ago. I’ll be a swimsuit most of the time or least when I might hypothetically ‘need’ a hat.

I have a full head of hair, so I’m not worried about my head getting burned in the first five minutes. If I were to get a hat, I likely would not wear it at home regardless, so I’m not concerned about the reuse rate. At the same, I don’t want to be “that guy” and fail in an attempt to get a non baseball style hat. With that said, is something like this stupid? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5TQH1R...ing=UTF8&psc=1 Is that a “that guy” hat?

Other suggestions for similar or non-similar hats? I’m open to all styles that Dappered might approve of. Also open to the idea that I don’t need a hat and trying to find one being stupid.

I leave in a week, so any options would need to be able arrive by Tuesday. This Charlie Fedora kind of caught my eye - https://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/sho...h-leisure.html - but out of stock.
    Last edited by Pesape; June 20th, 2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Edit for clarity - meant to say I would NOT wear a hat at home

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    I wear a fedora ony vacations. Just enough brim to cover my ears. I want to get a Panama like you linked but I personally wouldn't wear it at home much so I have held off. This year it might happen though. I don't care about being that guy on vacay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    At least when we did the Mexico all inclusive vacations I brought a baseball cap I didn’t care about. It would get wet by the pool. Salt water if I wore it into the ocean. Etc.

To me it was about functionality at that point and I wouldn’t want to get a nicer hat all wet etc.

I think the amazon hat looked nice. Just depends your level of care if it gets wet etc.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Wear a baseball hat or you look like the weird tourist guy in a Fedora. Fedoras make you look old. Freddy Krueger wears a Fedora, Hannibal Lecter wears a panama hat. Don't be those guys. I live in a beach town, trust me.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    To that point, I buy my vacation hats at places like tjmaxx, Nordstrom rack, Burlington for factory, etc and treat them as disposable. I wear them in the pool and everything. The most damage any of them have received has actually been during the actual travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    IMO a Panama hat is something you wear with a breezy linen suit, not with a t-shirt and swim trunks.

That said, function over form for a beach vacation. A broad-brimmed hat is far better than just a baseball cap as it protects more of your face, ears, and neck from the sun as well as protecting your eyes from peripheral sunlight.

I rarely go to "the beach" but here at the lake or on the river I usually wear an unstylish Tilley hat for maximum sun protection. They may look cheesy but a Panama, bucket hat, cowboy hat, whatever is probably the practical choice.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; June 20th, 2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    I agree with LBD. While not fashionable, function over form for the sun. While you may be "that guy" with a hat, you won't be "that other guy" who is sun burnt all to hell.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    if the amazon fedora is in your size, grab it up. that's a good price on a hat that will still be stylish but whose demise wouldn't be mourned like an ultrafino.

sadly i'm a 7-5/8 so i had to snag a more aspensive model for our trip up to Boston.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)
    Grab the Amazon fedora. It's a vacation. Relax. Enjoy yourself. Holidays, and beach holidays in particular are a time to just take it easy and wear something that you might not wear in your 'regular' life.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    FWIW, if you can I would try to buy a hat in-person. Hats are like glasses in that how they look on you is almost completely dependent on how the size/shape complements the size/shape of your face, so it can be really difficult to shop for them online.
    Ben