85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    FWIW, if you can I would try to buy a hat in-person. Hats are like glasses in that how they look on you is almost completely dependent on how the size/shape complements the size/shape of your face, so it can be really difficult to shop for them online.
    I’ve thought of this too with the same comparison. I like the idea of wayfarers and think they look cool online, but when I try them on, they just don’t work for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I'd recommend not wearing a baseball cap when visiting another country, unless you want everyone to know that you're American. We seem to be the only people that wear them with any sense of regularity.

Try something on in person that you like though. I'd say beach hats are more about function vs fashion, to be honest.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)
    FWIW, if you can I would try to buy a hat in-person. Hats are like glasses in that how they look on you is almost completely dependent on how the size/shape complements the size/shape of your face, so it can be really difficult to shop for them online.
    agree. or at least make sure you can easily return/burn the cash if you hate it on your head.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd27 View Post
    I'd recommend not wearing a baseball cap when visiting another country, unless you want everyone to know that you're American. We seem to be the only people that wear them with any sense of regularity.

Try something on in person that you like though. I'd say beach hats are more about function vs fashion, to be honest.
    I have no problem with everyone knowing I am American. I am actually proud to represent the American public in a manner that isnt a stereotype. And trust me, I see plenty of canadians, brits, scots, and irish wearing them when we go to mexico. The thing is you have to talk to them to find out. At glance some might assume "white guy with a cap, hes american". It helps that we are on some "fan" pages of the resort so we get to interact with them more than just seeing people at the buffet or in their loungers.

Of course I might need to clarify...if you specifically mean a cap from an actual baseball team, thats pretty american. If you mean the baseball style cap, thats pretty universal.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesape View Post
    I’ve thought of this too with the same comparison. I like the idea of wayfarers and think they look cool online, but when I try them on, they just don’t work for me.
    Thats me and clubmasters. I want them to work so bad but they just dont. oddly wayfarers do so thats what I stick with almost exclusively.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I have no problem with everyone knowing I am American. I am actually proud to represent the American public in a manner that isnt a stereotype. And trust me, I see plenty of canadians, brits, scots, and irish wearing them when we go to mexico. The thing is you have to talk to them to find out. At glance some might assume "white guy with a cap, hes american". It helps that we are on some "fan" pages of the resort so we get to interact with them more than just seeing people at the buffet or in their loungers.

Of course I might need to clarify...if you specifically mean a cap from an actual baseball team, thats pretty american. If you mean the baseball style cap, thats pretty universal.
    I was specifically referring to team baseball caps.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd27 View Post
    I was specifically referring to team baseball caps.
    that came to me as I was finishing my post. I would agree there. Baseball is americas past time. But a solid color, brand logo, or football club will blend right in.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesape View Post
    agree. or at least make sure you can easily return/burn the cash if you hate it on your head.
    Thats me and clubmasters. I want them to work so bad but they just dont. oddly wayfarers do so thats what I stick with almost exclusively.
    TBH I think a not-insignificant part of why people these days view traditional hats as dorky or douchey is because a lot of the guys who wear them aren't wearing ones that are a flattering size/shape/fit for their face and head.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)
    TBH I think a not-insignificant part of why people these days view traditional hats as dorky or douchey is because a lot of the guys who wear them aren't wearing ones that are a flattering size/shape/fit for their face and head.
    Fully agree. Hats also vibe as very old school so a young guy looks like a hipster and an older guy just looks traditional. I will wear tons of hats in another 15 years or so