Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

Lands' End - how are they?

I just got a new job, where they are encouraging company branded apparel to be worn. They are also providing allowance to new employees to purchase those branded clothes, which is fine by me, I always welcome free stuff.
    The thing is, it is exclusively going to be Lands' End, which I know very little of.

It's a financial services industry, so I'm guessing it's going to be mostly dress shirts, OCBD, polos, etc.
    If you have any Lands' End stuff, how are their fit and finish compare to, say, Banana Republic and J.Crew? I wear slim medium from both BR and JC, and they fit me perfectly. Hopefully they have more than standard and "tailored fit" option for me to choose from.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    I have Tailored Fit pants form Land's End and really like them but it sounds like you are asking more about shirts. Posters on here seem to have a good opinion about them though I do not recall any discussion regarding the fit of the shirts. I guess you can always get them tailored afterward.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I don't own one but I think the Hyde Park OCBDs get pretty good reviews. They are (or were, I have no idea how current my info is) 100% and non-non-iron and supposedly have decent collar size/roll.

The last time I did much shopping at LE, they had actual garment measurements available for their items, which makes it easy to find your size by comparison to other items you own that fit well. If you go into the "fit and size" tab you can click a link that will take you to a PDF with garment measurements.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    I've mostly purchased outerwear from them so I can't really say much about their dress shirts, polos, etc. but for outerwear they are one of the best deals going IMO. I use the true fit thingy on the website (entered my Brooks Brothers Regent fit shirt size) and that produces pretty good guidance for their outerwear. I'm kind of between a small and medium in most S,M,L size charts and almost always size down to a small so if you're between sizes you might want to think about that.

My favorite purchase from them is their Sportsman's Oilcloth Jacket - it's basically a Barbour without the label and made inside and out with genuine British Millerain waxed cotton (outside) and flannel (inside). British Millerain is the same textile mill Barbour and Belstaff use. I bought it the year Skyfall came out and was looking for something similar to what Daniel Craig wears in Scotland and it fit the bill, especially since it was only $120 on early spring sale. I still wear it regularly in the fall and spring, what is it 7 years later?
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Solid basics, but nothing flashy. I think you get good value for your money. I like that they usually have a couple different fits so you can find something that fits your build.

I have a fleece sweater and a couple of flannel shirts that I love.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    I have a handful of chinos and oxfords and I love how they all fit. Solid pieces, were inexpensive, and have been very durable. They don’t have a ton of fit options, but if they work for you they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    Hopefully they have more than standard and "tailored fit" option for me to choose from.
    They offer a true slim fit in a handful of their staple dress shirts. I own one of their slim fit oxfords and I'd say it's about on par with the J.Crew slim fit.

The tailored fit wool trousers are really good as mentioned upthread. They hit the sweet spot of looking up to date but not trendy. Plus you can specify the inseam length and save a trip to the tailor.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    If you only dressed from Land's End, including suits, you'd certainly be dressed better than most men; assuming you bought shoes somewhere other than Land's End.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    626 Post(s)
    I'm convinced that for mass-market dress and sport shirts, their shirt construction methods on their mainline shirts are by leaps and bounds better than essentially everyone in the business, besides Brooks Brothers. Unfortunately the BB shirts are 3X the price!

The design of a Lands End shirt is very subtley modern, very durable and attractive.

I'm sure you could find more fashion-centric shirts around at J Crew or wherever else, but the Lands End Shirts are definitely built smartly, and relatively cheaply. They're a little conservative for this website's viewers mostly, but if the LE kind-of-slightly-preppy-modern style appeals to you, you should definitely get into their shirt products.

My experience comes from knowing how to sew, and having a good eye for the longevity of clothes.

They represent a very distinctly unmatched value in shirting. There are hundreds of other companies that make shirts that sell for $100 or more than make much crappier shirts than they do.

I really like Lands End a lot!

That all said, I went through a phase where I wore Lands End four days a week maybe, and I have since bought 10 or 20 great brooks brothers shirts that are actually better, and i wear those instead. I still have all the Lands End ones though. They still get worn when the right opportunity arises.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)
    What's the sales rotation for Lands End? Anything like BR, JC, etc.?