Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My office went tie free - but we still have to wear a suit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    good, ties are antiquated and literally serve no functional purpose. everything else in mens wear serves at least some purpose. next up, we need to get rid of collars on dress shirts

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    good, ties are antiquated and literally serve no functional purpose. everything else in mens wear serves at least some purpose. next up, we need to get rid of collars on dress shirts
    I'm mostly with you on ties. Not collars.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Personally, I would take the opportunity to purchase some fun patterned suits. I disagree with @LesserBlackDog that even non-traditional suits look strange without a tie. I think if you got something in a prince of whales check, houndstooth, or tattersall pattern tieless is a great option. Same goes for less formal suiting materials like linen or cotton.

Solid color traditional suiting looks so awkward without a tie, especially with a white shirt (no offense to the purveyor of this site). Patterned shirts would certainly help too, but keep rocking the tie until you get more creative with your suiting IMO.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)
    If you have to be without ties, can you at least increase the number of pockets for snacks?

Asking for a friend...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    If you think you look better with a tie on, then wear it. When everybody wears ill-fitting or badly looking clothes, you don't copy them, do you?

I'm in a tie-required-but-jacket-optional office. You bet I wear a full suit on or a sport coat.